Friday, October 29, 2004

Happy 86th Grandpa!!

My gramps is turning 86 so my parents are going to Alberta to be part of the elite few (80 people actually) who go to the shindig.

My mom wrote a speech today about how my grandpa reminds her of the "reflective contentment" rather than the superficial pleasure aspect of happiness, relating these themes to the book by that name. He's a serious man but not because he's rigid, he just wants to see people taking things seriously and doing the best they can about things. He tells great stories. He has great opinions. He's had quite a life. One significant moment on it was being run over by a tractor in a farming accident. Amazingly he walks with a titanium hip. The details about him not having to go to WWII because of a broken wrist are a bit ambiguous. Was that intentional gramps? Well kudos to you if it was. War is dumb.

My grandpa had a farm on the prairies where he said he periodically saw the "chin coolie ghost". His father worked on the railway where so many natives got blown up or lines ran out of money and just had to stop. Those were the days of John A and Louis Riel. Strange to think his father was there then. Strange to think my mother's father is 80 years old or roughly 4 times as old as me. I'm sure my time will get there before I know it.

Well, happy birthday grandpa Steve Peta.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cerridwen said...

We tend to appreciate life more when we know someone who had lived a long fruitful life.
Happy Birthday to your grandpa Steve :)

9:41 p.m.  
Blogger Lioness said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sirbarrett. I was looking for psychic spiritual reading related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a psychic spiritual reading site. You can get an honest and informative reading to help you find your soul mate or lost loved one. You can also get info on numerology and astrology. Check it out when you can :)

1:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here