Tuesday, December 26, 2006

We Tell Stories

we tell stories
everyday
about how things are
about how things were
we like to play god
we tell about
how Jimmy cracked corn,
how the knight broke into the castle
and wore the Emperor's best clothes
way back when
it was before your time
and mine
Yet how do I know for sure
unless someone else told me?
how we feel about the stories
is a story in itself
it starts with a lie
and just keeps going
but everyone tries to see the truth in it
for the entertainment
or because they're scared of what other stories
would be true
if they weren't
some don't even notice that they're trying
they are so entertained
it's funny isn't it?
what if it could have been?
what you call a coincidence
I call poetic license
it is or it isn't
you tell me
the universe is a song
our lives are a story
the stories survive
and here I am
to tell the tale
about what my life is
the baby Jesus
the immaculate virgin
the angels that look down
it's all just a story
but could we make fools of them
unless they were really listening
unless they gave voice and animation to the grand comedy?
we have to imagine
they are practically crying for our theatrics!
if not, who are we talking to?
no one knows.
But we tell ourselves the stories
to pass the time
say our lines
and just maybe experience that faux moment
when it seems that all the stories have come true.

Poetry

13 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

wow barrett this is deep -as all your poetry usually is - and it really makes you think. love how you expressed it!

hope you are doing well :)

7:35 p.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Its been awhile I did not read your poetic thoughts..this wonderful to read..Im touched and how true ..Have great new year

3:04 p.m.  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi sir barrett,
I see you've been having fun
just like pirates on the run
coming up with written verses galore
singing & dancing from ship to shore

10:21 p.m.  
Blogger Prmod Bafna said...

Ooooh! what a delightful piece this!! totally loved reading it and being washed over! :) Nice one mate!

3:10 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your talents never cease to amaze me. Sorry I haven't been by more. I've been super busy and keeping my blog and life above water hasn't been easy!

11:03 p.m.  
Blogger x said...

stories render meaning to an otherwise chaotic existence. they don't even have to be linear. any story will do.
on a more cheerful note: i am glad that somehow, you are part of my story now.
xx

4:45 p.m.  
Blogger Its Me! said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! and such encouragement! I see you like the writings of David Sedaris...I have read two or three of his books and really enjoyed them. He has a real gift. Have a wonderful new year!

11:20 p.m.  
Blogger sophie said...

you are too deep barrett - go
out and buy some comic books
and eat some jellybeans.

hugs!

3:41 p.m.  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi sirbarrett, best wishes for the final moments of this year, and much merriment, great joy and great cheer to see in the incoming Year

6:29 p.m.  
Blogger Admin said...

happy new year!!

3:37 p.m.  
Blogger diana christine said...

every story is true (there is only one story). we can just as easily (and just as truthfully) say that no story is true, but every story is true because everything is a reflection of the one true story. the Universe speaks to us through our stories.

you are profound, my friend. i love the philosophy of your poetry.

diana christine

6:25 a.m.  
Blogger {illyria} said...

my comment is nowhere to be found. damnit.

but still, rereading this makes me feel i'm on the verge of discovering things i've long put aside. thanks for that, you poet you.

happy new year's, btw. :)

8:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love lorena's new avator....as for the poem....you never cease to amaze me at how deep you can be with your writings of faith. big hugs....i relate to this...in a big way.

9:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here