Saturday, December 02, 2006

Curling up with Comics

Page from Chester Brown's Louis Riel

I've never been much of a comic book collector though I started after realizing how amazing the whole genre is. Now that it's finger-freezing cold outside, I'll be staying in more and reading. In university, I got a credit for reading and studying some of the best graphic novels and comic books like Maus, Watchmen some Batman comix, and Neil Gaiman's Sandman and others.

Even though he's often accused of being racist and sexist and well, a little weird, I still think Robert Crumb is an amazing artist and innovator. His comics are like brain garbage. They will make you deranged, obscene and morally impaired but they will also make you laugh. They are fun to indulge in.

The more 'cultured', conservative reader will enjoy more historical comic book writers/illustrators like Chester Brown, who created Louis Riel, which was nominated for a 2004 Eisner Award.

Today I just added Weltschmerz to my sidelinks. It's "Canada's premier satirical comic strip"-Exclaim! Local talent Gareth Lind draws up prime minister Harper, David Suzuki and other fictional characters to poke fun of Canadian politics and issues like Kyoto and Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan. He pumps the strips out every Thursday.

Books

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet...you got University credit for reading comix? I must say I've always had a soft spot in my heart for comic books.

I'd love to comment more, but my friend is coming over and I am about to leave....

9:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Credit for comics reading? Could you tell us a bit more about why that happened.

10:25 a.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

lord chimmy -Spread those pages wide! There is a reason to love comix: they will never reject you. Hope you had good times with your friend.

adorable girlfriend -Well, professors have a certain freedom when they hit tenure but comics are neglected for their literary value. Why NOT study them? This prof thought there would be merit in studying the genre and how it's evolved from hieroglyphics to what were thought of as sensational, seedy, glossy books that children would read and hide from their parents to the whole gamut of masterpieces that there are today and indeed there is! The demographic for comics is mainly men, including grown men. It's also growing in women readership. So I got a fourth year English credit for it and wrote a big paper/presentation on Maus.

4:49 p.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Im not so much in to comics..Yet I think they are talented and daring with the messages that they give through humor or comics ...Hope all going well

2:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here