Monday, November 20, 2006

Weekends, Repentence, Water and Hawks

It was a nice weekend. Saturday was a big day of work, leaving me feeling a little drained and then a little annoyed at having to return back to work after I had left because I forgot to sign myself out of msn. I would have given myself a swift kick in the face...but I'm not that flexible.

I was down on food so I popped by the supermarket as they were closing. They gave me a break and sold me some burgers and buns for $5 no tax. I went home and fired up the barbecue only to have it run out of propane. As a diversion, I started up a new movement in my modest kitchen called Salon Self. It involves hair remodeling at a low (or non-existent price). For my first client (me), I gave myself a mohawk. It celebrates the Iroquois in us all.

Apparently things are frustrating for others as well, for my friend Kittens a case in point but she vents it so well! Here is a snippet of her letter from the west where she recounts the perils of living without access to the most basic resource known to (wo)man and makes an important point about its preservation:

"I miss water. No, that's not emphatic enough, let me restate: I really f_cking miss water. For serious.

As the news savvy amongst you may already now, the White House administration has been meeting with religious leaders to discuss the end of times. In a related story, during the first week of my schooling at SFU, I lambasted the Campus Crusaders for Christ for trying to hook people to the JC by offering bottled water (as well as violent video games wherethe faithful to be got to pop multiple caps into someracially-stereotyped terrorist types. Nice sales pitch, I admit) During aforementioned lambasting, I asked the righteous followers what Jesus was going to do for the common man when all of the waste generated from privatized water industries leaked into the groundwater and contaminated the common source. What I learned this week. Never lose faith in the steadfast foresight of George W. Bush. Also, when the well is running dry, you may as well hitch your wagon to the Christ Coalition's God-mobile when they are clearly demonstrating wealth pertaining to this hot commodity/dwindling natural resource.

I miss water so much right now that I ate an orange that has beensitting in my backpack for one too many lectures because I wasthirsty.See, the deal is that the water is theoretically drinkable, you justhave to boil it... then cool it... and then try to ignore the factthat it is A)brown and B) doesn't taste so much like the fluid life source that I love so dearly. It tastes like a brew fit for the disbeliever.

In closing, I wish to make the following offerings: Firstly, to God. I am sorry. Please bring bottled water back to the grocery stores that are within a 90 minute radius of my house (a tour of them earlier today proved unfruitful and left me feeling like I wason the cusp of apocalyptic doom. Running out of water does that to me. Always has- note: childhood vacation to drumheller, also ended poorly.)Secondly, to my beloved friends. Repent your public water relying, aetheist ways and for the love of all that is holy, crack a bottle of your sacred liquid, be it Dasani, Evian or Aquafina (as deemed culturally appropriate by your respective religious affiliations). Fill up a nice, chilled, sparkly chalice, and think of me. Then thank your good graces that you live in the part of the country that isn'texperiencing record rainfall, resulting in lengthy power outages and water tainting.

Although, I should point out that I haven't lost my power yet... So I guess I must be doing something right. It's probably the SUV. I got a sneak peek at the Campus Crusaders for Christs lit for next semester'scampaign and I think the caption is:WWJD? Get behind the girl in the SUV who's listening to Britney Spears while sipping on a latte. All three bases covered. Partial doom averted.

Now to remain hydrated....I will leave you with this quote:Revelation 21:6, 7 "And He said to me, 'It is done! I am the Alphaand the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountainof the water of life freely to him who thirsts. He who overcomesshall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be Myson.' ( I think he's talking about me)"

I also celebrated a friend's birthday and did what Barrett's like to do on Sundays by going and playing open mic at my favorite spot where I busted out my baby, the Bellini, the accordion my parents found at a garage sale. My father also used to play accordion and handed his instrument down to me only for me to have it stolen back in highschool. So, with slight caution I played my own original song on the accordion, whereas usually I use the conventional guitar.

It snowed today. My head is cold.

Tonight my plan is to go see wonderful moviefilm Borat and rip it up with some training, work and social times for the rest of the week.

Something interesting I took notice of for the first time is the two words in one in:

IMPOSSIBLE

Remember that when you are doubting yourself.

"Let's change history by writing it"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It snowed? UC's dad didn't say anything when he called on Sunday.

This is by far and away the funniest post you've ever written. I cried about the giving yourself a mohawk. That was so funny.

8:11 p.m.  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

a mohawk?
get out of here.
really?
nah.
mind you i quite fancy myself with a mohawk. mind you, the way my hair is going it will more mo than hawk.

2:43 p.m.  
Blogger mistipurple said...

i hope your found your oasis finally.

1:49 p.m.  
Blogger {illyria} said...

i'd love an audipost of your playing. maybe one day.

8:59 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

adorable girlfriend -Yah it snowed a bit. It was like isolated showers except it was snow and it was isolated by geography, not time. In other words, there were little patches of snow here and there. Strange eh? I'm glad you got a laugh about that. My mohawk is no joke (but you can still laugh about it).

cocaine jesus -It's true. I did one of those once-in-a-lifetime things and gave myself a mohawk. You should totally do it! It doesn't look half bad either if you ask me. I shaped it so that I can look professional and comb it to the side. Please don't call it a combover though. I would be upset.

mistipurple -Yes. Oasis. Yes. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

{illyria} -Thanks for the kind nagging. I need to do audioposts like cookie recipes call for sugar but at this stage I'm just lacking the technological means. I've tried uploading to putfile and others before with no luck. I will try gmail in the future but not sure how to link it from there. Anyway, once I get internet connection at home and start recording more it will be a sure go. OR I can wait until I upgrade my phone to one with video capture and then I'll upload music VIDEOS. Wouldn't that be sweet?? Until then you'll just have to cross your fingers.

3:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here