Thursday, November 16, 2006

Borrowing from a Sense of Hope

"Be ready when opportunity comes. Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet." ~Roy D. Chapin Jr.

I don't believe in luck...unless by luck you mean that good things can happen without you expecting them...but I also believe that that is an implicit result of expecting better and making better choices for better results to manifest. I believe in the mystery of iniquity but I also believe that mystery is a miraculous feature of the universe designed to make life interesting and to ensure that there is a reason to have a good heart in and of itself.

This is the first year that I haven't been in school for nineteen years consecutively. It's been a challenge learning simply how to live, how to organize my own day, not to have a prescribed module of activity but it's also been a lot of fun. One thing that I've noticed is how clear every day seems, how much more on edge things are, how much more energized I am to live. I have my good days and bad days as ever yet both kinds seem to matter a little more as time goes on. There's less of it.

The reality of our Canadian economy, (and North America for the most part) is that so many of us our living in luxury and affluence but up to our ears in debt. How is that possible? It's like we have life out on loan. This is a wonderful country to live in if you want to live above your means. The average person is living with about an average of $7,000 of credit card debt. The scary thing is that is per credit card.

In some cases, winning the lottery or inheriting money may be a randomn factor that contributes to wealth but for most of us, our income depends on the kinds of opportunities we're willing to take and for those who have never had money, do you think they would be well trained at keeping it? First time millionaires are easily surprised by how easily they can blow it. For others struggling to get rich or die trying, they often succeed in the latter but only those with a solid plan and steady determination achieve the former. Fear motivates far too many other people to give up and failure is often the result of giving up at something you were this close at succeeding in.

As inflation spirals upwards and people find themselves working at Wal-Mart at the age of 65 (because no one ever taught them how to retire wealthy -they never had practice) it's important to learn how to take opportunity and share it with those that you care about. It's important to spread hope. We can make the world a better place. All it takes is realizing that there are options...and that you have a choice. The world doesn't owe it to you, you owe yourself to the world.

Philosophy

6 Comments:

Blogger madamerouge said...

It's been a challenge learning simply how to live, how to organize my own day, [...] One thing that I've noticed is how clear every day seems, how much more on edge things are, how much more energized I am to live.

That was me, 13 years ago. Now, I'm racking my brains for something to go back to school and study. I miss it. A lot.

11:13 p.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Im glad you look at life in the way ...

9:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AG has a long long list of school things:

JD
PhD
RN, MSN
R.Ph.

Where does it end?!!

10:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is your invitation. You better make it.

http://www.thefrenchcoffeeshop.com/xmasPartyInvite_2006/invite_2006_2.html

12:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

listen to jason..."you better make it" no i know

hey guelph is closer no? my friend lived there in university so i've been.

tell the deats...what up? who u living with? job? girlfriend? what what what???? can't wait to see you! xo

3:13 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

madamerouge -You should totally go back to school. I plan on being a life-learner. School hasn't always translated to a job for me but it's always added to my knowledge and made life richer.

iamnasra -Love life!

adorable girlfriend -Your brain is always hungry!

jason -Thanks. Now I feel included.

skitzee -you'll get to know all the deats when I see you at the party! Can't wait! I miss ya!

12:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here