Monday, November 06, 2006

Kate Bush -Song of the Day


Today's song is Army Dreamers by Kate Bush.

I was reminded how amazing Kate Bush is last night when I went over to Lucifer's house to watch cartoons, play accordion and listen to music. In terms of having ingenious ideas for songs she is the queen. She is highly imaginative while making reference to the real world -like her songs about death or about the man who developed a machine that could create rain and lightning. The music is classical and has her eccentric flavour to it. She's so eighties with her wild fashion styles too. And her six octave voice! It's insane!

So, this song is about how children are drafted into the army to fight and die despite the fact that they would be better off doing so many other things:
"He should have been a rock star but he didn't have money for a guitar. He should have been a politician but he didn't have money for a proper education..."

I think it's important to remember that while some of us enjoy safety, comfort and a good standard of living we do so at the expense of the poor, whose minds we manipulate to fight our wars for us.

6 Comments:

Blogger madamerouge said...

I love Kate Bush. I keep meaning to pick up her new album ("Aerial") which, I think, has been out for a year now.

7:40 p.m.  
Blogger x said...

i love Kate Bush. I think she was the first to do so many things. She has always been progressive but also ethereal.

7:53 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. I haven't heard this song before. Thanks for posting it.

Yes, I agree, she is a pro.

2:01 p.m.  
Blogger sophie said...

I adore that six octave voice -

michael moore covered the issue
of enlisting the poor very well -

great post:)

10:59 p.m.  
Blogger Cathy said...

I just aw you post on my dear friend Chloe's site and thought I'd stop by and say hello; I lived in Waterloo for 8 years.
Emm, well 'nuf said.

5:12 p.m.  
Blogger RuKsaK said...

her voice is stunning - like she was gifted by ghosts or something

6:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here