Thursday, May 11, 2006

Why Discerns the Nothing?

Sometimes life makes no sense.

Why do people die of AIDS, talk about baseball, abuse their children, smoke crack, tan until they turn orange, eat out of dumpsters or kill little girls for money or a VISA? Why do those little things happen that change everything else in a way that can never really be anticipated? That's irreversible? Why are accidents bound to happen even in good will? Do we have an intelligible route to our destiny or are we destined to fail, to flounder?

The flapping of a butterfly's wings on one side of the earth is said to have enough energy to generate an earthquake on the other.

Flipping the coin to land on the one side is what counts in the toss.

Knowing that jello may turn into jet fluid at any time, or that I may wake up as a giant beetle, or that planes will come crashing into my basement, or that viruses will mutate into new species, or that the sun will turn green, or that I may spontaneously combust at a certain temperature, or that volcanoes may spurt alien forms of DNA, or that things may have no coherent superficial meaning, allows me to suspend my logic enough to trust that the situation on a more general level, including what it seems to be, has some other layer of meaning worth investigating and that regardless of whether I figure it out or not, it's still entertaining.

Give it the benefit of the doubt.

There is that possibility of turning "it" in the right direction. Guiding life. There is the human blessing: opportunity of experience, living in the flesh, calling out in the wind, being tasted by the earth.

What other salient forms are witness to the giant mystery of the cosmos, to the ineffable howling of the universe? All. Invariably, there forms a method to the madness within our own tempered skulls, in subjectivity, a backpocket instinct,
something we gain as we interact with the exterior,
the organisms,
the ecological structure,
coincidence,
synchronicity,
matter, -the historical trace of our existence.

5 Comments:

Blogger Om said...

I need some mushrooms now..No just kidding.. I am certainly worried now that I may wake up as a giant beetle! I love this post! Sir B you are one of a kind!

11:32 a.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

Ummm... ok. Btw, how is the new job?

12:11 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

frap gurl -yeah, I thought it was time for a bit of a wacky post.

jason -Nice hair and stache. The new job is fun.

Regarding work in general: I volunteer from 9-5 Mon-Fri doing lots of research and little things here and there, working at the think tank with the same supervisor from my Co-op. Then I walk a block up the street to my little restaurant to work for a couple hours at a time (I'm still "in training"). Today it was slow though so I made pizza dough and washed the walls. People in kitchens are always nuts, which is entertaining (as long as you don't get stabbed). I have an interview next week for something in my field. Right now I'm not at my salary expectations/needs but keeping busy helps me keep sane. I almost feel like a normal person again.
Someday...

7:51 p.m.  
Blogger Admin said...

sweet post!

12:25 a.m.  
Blogger mistipurple said...

you can be normal? opps.
your brain is many times my capacity.
oh, now i get it.
i am the one in trouble..

11:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here