Saturday, April 22, 2006

Setting Sails and Eyes on Success

Picture courtesy of Beholder Images

"Setting Sail" was the theme of the PR graduation banquet. It was a time for going our separate ways, for testing new waters, and embarking on professional careers, but not until after some schmoozing, good-hearted jokes and dancing.

Our teachers put us afloat, sending us off with good wishes after sharing the stories of our past two years: staying up late working on assignments, making up excuses for late assignments, getting together to discuss how we were going to handle PR crises and presenting speeches. We rehashed some of the PR bloopers that happened over our six week co-op placements: trying to barter at Dollerama over supplies, driving through a park to get out of a chained parking lot after a magazine launch, having a dog rub it's hindquarters on you while interviewing a client at the Humane Society or having to clean out a barn as part of the less glamourous "PR" tasks.

Monique was my pricelessly perfect date with her polished manners, looking absolutely fabulous in her pink dress and being sure to liven things up on the dance floor. She agreed to rescue me after another date realized her schedule didn't match but I should have asked her in the first place!

Even though she is several years my junior and her training is not in taking questions, she managed amazingly well. When meeting the head of the Alumni association, she even jumped in sometimes to answer questions for me, quite assured that I was "going to be so successful in whatever [I did]." This threw the listener for a loop and they jokingly asked her: "have you already got the job for him too?" She could make even the most unfeeling creature fall in love. She explained her background working on a pirate ship off the coast of Mexico and explained she was there to "lighten the mood" amidst too much business talk. After talking to her for a few moments, he looked at me and said "she's a keeper."

So, we had a few drinks and listened to speeches written by teachers and fellow students. We had to laugh (at least those of us who understood the inside jokes) through a trash talk roast, pegging everyone's stereotype in the class and giving them a playful jab. There were short jokes about our teacher not reaching the microphone: "was this set up for a midget?", remarks about the nerd who is obsessed with Zehr's/Electronics/Loblaws, the overly outgoing Drew who was "most likely" to come out of his shell, the pregnant girl who is "just lying about being pregnant to cover up the winter weight" and me, the "tough guy" for my speech about how I "love" to fight -it's my favorite way to relieve post-exam stress. Yes, we are a sarcastic, cruel bunch. We all know each other a little too well.

To help us navigate in the future and remember where we came from, we recieved a compass with the college logo and a framed picture of our class. Things started wrapping up early around 1am. I handed out contact cards and assured everyone I'd keep in touch. That won't be hard, after all, we are in communications.

It will be interesting to see what happens to us. Some of us will go on to influence government, to support charities and not-for-profit foundations, some will entertain, some will critique, some will lead corporations and others will write speeches. Our teacher who wrote her own speech got past the point where she had scripted that she would cry. Having it written down made it avoidable. However, just because there weren't tears it felt like she was no less proud of us.

We don't have all the time in the world together so we've got to make the most of it. Thanks to everyone's hard work, we did. In a reminder to continue doing so, one student cited James Dean: "dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."

This is a picture showing how my hair was before I cut it off. Today I am done school, I feel a mix of sadness and happiness and anticipation. I will be back to writing cover letters and thinking about the movie Capote, which I just saw. The weather outside is cool and rainy. My dog has pollen all over her making me conclude she went running through flowers. Life goes on as it always does. New hairs sprout, flowers bloom and things change but never forever.

PS-HAPPY EARTH DAY!!

Filed in Personal Diegesis

15 Comments:

Blogger Darius said...

Sounds like fun. Happy Earth Day to you too -

2:48 p.m.  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Congratulations to you! What a nice accomplishment. I like the shorter hair.

Happy Earth Day to you, too.

8:30 p.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

Good luck with the job search, let us know if we can help with anything.

12:01 p.m.  
Blogger Lorena said...

you look so handsome in your pics :)

i'm glad you had a great night. i wish you all the best!!

good luck in your promising career.
i like james dean's quote.

1:39 p.m.  
Blogger mistipurple said...

good luck for your journey ahead. remember to enjoy what you do!

8:41 p.m.  
Blogger {illyria} said...

ooohhh, you looker you. ;) here's to an exciting, uncertain future ahead. you gotta love stuff like that.

11:42 p.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

Happy Earth-day Indeed!!

4:11 p.m.  
Blogger J said...

Lookin' spiffy, B. Congrats again.

11:46 p.m.  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

you look like you should be in the foo fighters!

9:30 a.m.  
Blogger J said...

B - I was actually just thinking that in your coffee drinking picture, you could easily pass for an English professor. Just add the elbow patches and you're set! Spiffy pic.

3:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck sweetie...so cute you are!

love the curly locks, you have no idea.

12:02 p.m.  
Blogger x said...

you are a beautiful boy Barrett
of course i knew that
xx

6:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy E-Day to you as well!

11:12 p.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

great pictures barrett ... loved the first one .. it's awesome..

happy earth day to you too :)

11:39 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

darius -I did the worm on the dance floor to blow off my energy. It WAS fun.

barbarafromcalifornia -I'm glad you like the shorter hair because it's too late to have it long now. I love the spring smells coming from the earth this week!

jimmy -You're on my contact list brotha!

lorena -Yes, the quote was used in one of the speeches. It is something worth thinking about.

mistipurple -Thanks and good point. I can't let it stress me out too much. Gotta weigh the opportunity costs. I still want to have fun.

transience -*winking back at you, hard* Ah yes! The uncertainty! Tis the child of disorganized planning and too many variables!

kimberly -I hope it's not all a blur. I'll keep my eye open for those moments of clarity and hope they don't smack me blind.

jason -Gaia is good.

j -Yes. I know the jackets you mean. I had one once. My friend tells me I remind her of her high school teacher. It's funny how you can look like a profession.

cocaine jesus -Foo-tos, the Foomaker!

mitzee -See? I saved some lock for you.

chloe -So are you! (except you're not a boy)

adorable girlfriend -Yeah, today I bonded with the earth by raising my dad up on the bucket of the tractor to cut off tree branches with his chainsaw. Not exactly the friendliest thing to do -the maples were dripping with tree blood (sap)!!! But, it did get me into nature. I checked out this HUGE willow tree with branches the go out everywhere and touch the ground in several places.

maddy -Yup, I just have to be patient. Thanks for the encouragement.

Nabeel -Yes, my friend is a good photographer. Happy Earth day. :)

9:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here