Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bandwatch: Elefant



I just found this band, Elefant, out of nowhere. This video is interesting. I like the minimalist rock thing. A characteristic I see emerging in whatever you might call this music is this:

-consistent quick bass which changes tones only periodically, not necessarily when the lead guitar does
-songs about strange sexual tension/infatuation which doesn't work out
-moments where only the drums and vocals are together
-some unexplainable tone of voice which I can only describe as "vampirish" but not gothy

The parts are all so simple but when put together they sound amazing. It's that kind of music which you don't need to take too much effort to hear the winds or take note of the subtle ritardando. No, there's not a moment of stolen time spent listening to this band through my all-enveloping earphones. When I put them on, my ears are swallowed and bathed in easy-listening music, which is perfect for this summer mood that I'm in.

Other bands that pull off the minimalist rock or "post punk" thing well are:

Interpol
The Rapture
Yeah Yeah Yeahs


Bands that are on the Bandwatch radar:

Tool
Neil Young
Zero-7
Fourtet


Beautiful instrumental artist:

Yann Tiersen (remember all that music from Amelie?)

Bands I'm sick of who now officially suck:

The Strokes
because they were always too trendy
Michael Bublé
because he's always happy and snappy and...wait I think I'm going to throw up!
Metric
I know, they were my other Bandwatch
and
Radiohead,
because they're charging over $70/ticket for their upcoming concert!! Love em but hate em.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think UC likes this band and they are playing in Boston.

If you are interested, visit UC's blog at blog.3bulls.net and leave a post about info in the Song of the Day section. Pinko Punko and Fulsome will love it! They are all good guys.

11:41 a.m.  
Blogger J said...

I have to disagree with you on Tool. They used to be cool. Until they kept on singing the same song for almost 2 decades. Just my two cents.

8:05 p.m.  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

cool post. also try the editors. like interpol they are very influenced by joy division.

11:15 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interpol, Neil, the Strokes, Buble, oh baby....you are so good!! MORE MORE!!! OH BARRETT!!!

lmao

3:02 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

AG -Oh excellent! I will have to give them a visit.

maddy -Amen!

j -Yeah, I'm not so much of a fan like I was when I was hooked on the Aenima album. Maybe it's their cover design that still got them on the radar. They like mindgames. I haven't even really listened to the whole thing yet. Probably don't have to. They're just on the radar though, not in the spotlight of Bandwatch.

cocaine jesus -The editors eh? Hmmmm

mitzee -Oh yeah, say my name! Remember though: Buble and the Strokes are on the "Sucklist". You are not allowed to be ecstatic about them (unless you really want to be).

3:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't hate me Mitz, but I kind of like the Strokes.

5:16 p.m.  
Blogger Om said...

Sir B .. Have you heard the new Tool cd.. It is amazing.. tons of off beats.. amazing guitar, drums, bass and vocals.. an utter masterpiece! This CD is Epic!...

..In "Right in Two" the reference to monkeys I swear he is referring dirrectly to GEE Dubya! You might find this message board interesting .. Their is a huge puzzle going on wiht this CD...

http://10000-days.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=8c981cb4267b182f17c5cd532ec85d3e

11:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here