Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Sprained my Ankle but Got a Job



Shoot! I sprained my ankle.

Last night, as my first two moves of this year's trampolining career I attempted flips. Bad moves. The first flip I over-accomplished, rotating about 440 degrees and landing on my face but that didn't teach me anything. I should have stopped there but no. Call me energetic. On the second, I went "crunch". I must have rotated not only forwards, but slightly sideways, catching the side of my foot, which made an ungodly popping noise as I came down. I immediately hugged the railing of the trampoline and gasped for air, lifting my leg up and trying the will the pain away.

Now that I've almost healed my bummy arm from a stair-descending accident/assault, it appears that all I've done is trade it in for a gimpy leg. I know. I'm TRYING not to be the definition of "accident prone" but it's so hard! Well, if you do a figure eight around me at least you can say that half of my body works. This causes problems not only for bass-drumming initiatives but also for locomotion. I kind of hobble around. Now that my arm is almost better, I can successfully wash parts of my back without the aid of a scrub-brush. It's just things like putting on my socks and ambling up the stairs that cost me a few more minutes of panting and groaning as I get ready for interviews.

It felt fine last night, but as I told Squeegiekid who was over to share some coffee, tunes and mess around on my computer, "it [was] going to hurt tomorrow" and it has.

Anyway, we had a fun time watching Steve Bridges as President Dubya videos. This man has an uncanny ability to impersonate him. His comic role at the White House Correspondent's Association Dinner was to play what seemed the darker, more id-like and self-consciously honest version of Bush. Some parts got me wondering whether Georgie boy knew the jokes were on him.

Squeegiekid is such a whiz that he got my MP3 encoder working again so that I can burn the songs I record on my computer to CD! Squeegie and I have known each other since the dawning of the Internet so it was nice to catch up on old times. He's quite the programmer working on a project right now in the conceptualization stage, putting together the neuron-networks of his mind like nuts and bolts. From what he told me, I have no clue what it's going to look like when it comes out of his brain but surely it will be technical in nature, hopefully revolutionary.

I hack-sawed off the old combination lock (which I forget) from my bicycle, replaced it with a new lock and succesfully pumped up the tires after shorting out two of the three cigarette lighters in the cars accessible to me for air compression power. So it's good to go! (If only I were).

So today I am on painkillers and they are serving me well. My sister, who is in nursing tells me that it can take up to six weeks for a sprain to heal but what do nurses know about injuries anyway?

I went to an interview with a temp agency and then swung over to a café that I applied to do some part time cooking for. My timing was good. The result is that I start training Friday. It will be nice to be doing SOMETHING while I scout out politicians, IT firms or research institutes to write for...or during the time it takes to get some temporary office experience.

So, things are looking up even if my jogging will be put on hold. Give me a few days and I'm sure I'll be as good as gold. For my part, I am looking out, remaining Argus-eyed for the ideal job.

Filed under General Announcements

14 Comments:

Blogger x said...

going to send you goodies to ease the pain (NOT painkillers!)
xxx

3:54 p.m.  
Blogger Udge said...

Gute Besserung!

Jogging while sprained is probably not a good idea :-)

4:52 p.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

first it was the elbow .. and now it's the ankle .. barrett .. u need to be more careful my friend ..

6:58 p.m.  
Blogger Lavinia said...

Aaw..hope you heal up soon. This is a good excuse to sit around and be pampered.

1:05 a.m.  
Blogger mistipurple said...

i feel so bad for laughing quite so loud when i read this..
"..it appears that all I've done is trade it in for a gimpy leg"

i wish you better days ahead, truly.

1:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally called you last night and someone hung up on me...a girl. so i got scared. :(

hope you are feeling better dear. xo

12:17 p.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

When do we get to meet you in person?

7:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A girl answered? Someone better explain.

You also should have taken Peter's mother's advice, "You'll only get hurt."

10:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao at ag.....yes when do we get to meet u....come down saturday call zeemee....or my cell phone cuz i answer it a lot. lmao again at myself....i guess that's why it's called l MY ao....i make no sense. no i know.

say: zen.

12:12 p.m.  
Blogger Darius said...

Lately your posts are so filled with violence... It's a reality-blog!

Maybe you should take a class or two over the summer just to be sitting down more? But just remember not to tilt your chair back against the wall...

2:23 p.m.  
Blogger Lorena said...

this has happened to me, but why the pain killers?? didn't hurt me that bad!! :) you must have low tolerance ;)

i will check out those video clips.

i wish you a speedy recovery!! i know how it is having to stay away from excersizng the body. that is what i dislike most when i'm sick.

happy weekend!!

4:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hop-along-Barrett...has a ring to it."

I don't want to, but I must second it.

6:30 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Hi all! The ankle is better and I'm being more careful. And yes, I was a baby for taking pain killers but I'm a man and men are wimps. We're not made to have babies and stuff. I haven't gone jogging but I did go biking. Thanks for the nickname.

I started my job as a cook today making alfredos and bruschetta and salads and steaks. I didn't cut my hand off or burn myself either so this is good.

Be good to yourselves people and have a nice weekend.

7:21 p.m.  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I remember when the elbow was busted too..

Yipes, this just is not a good year for your limbs.

But I am glad it is turning out well for your career.

Feel better.

10:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here