Monday, March 02, 2009

What Katie Perry Can Teach Us About Poetry

Do you ever get sick of songs you have heard a million times? Of course you do! But Katie Perry's song 'I Kissed a Girl' probably tops it for this past year (or was it 2007's?) song that everyone can love to hate (or secretly just love).

There is still yet another way to beat a dead horse even deader, and that's to try an innovative exercise, employing the song. An exercise to rework our minds out of the most grueling overplayed (or is that just my fault for still having it as my ringtone?) brain-washing song's control over our psyche's. Bring it down from the inside; like a Trojan Horse.

This is an exercise you could really do with any song, whether it be Otis, Regina or Winehouse. But the goal of the exercise is to take a song and write alternate lyrics, while maintaining somewhat the same form and rhythmic flow.

The following may not a perfect picture of greatness, but I think I might have somewhat achieved the goal. I'll warn you it's a little stream-of-consciousness and as such, doesn't really make any sense at all, but here goes:

I kissed a girl and she liked it
I like the weave of her homemade plastic
I kissed a girl She's Earp, Wyatt
Her gunshot lips laid me in the casket.

And I reel so long and she falls so right
I think I might get dressed up tonight

I kissed a girl just to quiet
the longing urge I've felt to not deny it

I don't even know where I live
I've got amnesia
I wore my pants all inside out
well, whatever

don't dare me to
don't dare me not
I think that's ten cents I've got

I kissed a girl just to fly it
don't you tell me that you've never tried it


Yes! Don't tell me that you've never tried it! It's fun making up alternate song lyrics! That's probably how I made it through so many mindless part time jobs in the past, because I entertained myself. I invite you to add on, write alternate lyrics for songs we might know. See if we can guess which ones they are!

3 Comments:

Blogger madamerouge said...

Great! Now do Hot N Cold.

10:11 p.m.  
Blogger Adorable Girlfriend said...

We've all done the replace lovewith lunch or you with jews or shoes.

I am so over the Perry and Clarkson!

9:43 a.m.  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I'm afraid I can't distinguish what is yours and what is Perry's (well, some parts I can). I'm blessed not to remember the song right now.
It is fun :)

4:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here