Sunday, March 01, 2009

Thank God for Black Adder



Forgoing cable TV during these cold months, I have strived to get my entertainment where I can get it: on DVD or the internet. Convenient for me, I live just across from a public library whose free movie supply has yet to be exhausted. Although I'm familiar with Rowan Atkinson from Mr. Bean, Black Adder is a cult comedy that somehow slipped my notice...until now. I've blazed through and rewatched episodes from season one and two all last week.

The costumes are great, the characters witty and the plot about a scheming royal makes for a great series that seemingly never ends. The Black Adder is like the Coyote from Roadrunner, in that he has plan after plan to do his enemies in. The only consistent result is that he always fails.

No other theme song pumps me up as this one:

The sound of hoofbeats cross the glade,
Good folk, lock up your son and daughter,
Beware the deadly flashing blade,
Unless, you want to end up shorter,

Black Adder!
Black Adder!
He rides a pitch-black steed,
Black Adder!
Black Adder!
He's very bad indeed,

Black, his gloves of finest mole,
Black, his codpiece made of metal,
His horse is blacker than his vole,
His pot is blacker than his kettle,

Black Adder!
Black Adder!
With many a cunning plan,
Black Adder!
Black Adder!
You horrid little man!


Movies (and shows)

3 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

Sometimes it's good that we have never watched something so one day we get the pleasure of seeing everything. Maybe I will pay more attention to Black Adder one of these winters.

4:36 p.m.  
Blogger madamerouge said...

People who like Black Adder... don't they also generally enjoy Monty Python?

8:50 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Devil Mood: Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know when you're going to have to watch Black Adder.

Madamerouge: I would say, based on the type of humour, definitely, yes. But because I saw Monty Python so long ago and heard countless impersonations throughout my difficult childhood, Monty Python to me is like an old rusted sword, whereas Black Adder seems just the "flashing blade" we are to be wary of. On the other hand, you just made me question something horribly possible: Will my obsession fade with time?

9:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here