Friday, March 30, 2007

Adventures in Warmerland

Let me just say that I love spring because it means the summer is coming! How I love the summer! Let me count the ways:

There are now flowers shooting up to the sky in front of my house where, one week ago, snow laid.

This has had great effects on my psyche.

The most practical positive result is that I finally got a job! It's funny. Part of what I think actually helped was mere mental power. I'm not superstitious but I watched "the Secret" last week and now truly believe in the logic of mental activity being energy -energy that becomes real, material power. If Einstein was right that E=MC2 then psychical energy shares the same characteristics as electricity, natural or other power and it can be transformed to your advantage!

In my mind I decided that my little holiday had gone on long enough: sleeping in, lazing, watching movies all day, etc. I decided that this week I was going to get hired and I did. Guess what happened my first day of work? I turned on my phone to find four other voicemail messages of jobs requesting an interview with me...which is typical. When it rains it pours!

So I'm now a Bilingual Receptionist for Ontario College Application Services. I was just relearning French by reading the French section of the Ontario Colleges Guide to myself out loud. How exciting! But speaking of rain, we had quite a storm this week after the weather changed for the better. While I was jogging the sky turned an ominous black shade and then it came down in torrents. I kept jogging because the crack of lightning was like a motivating whip at my back. The drains started clogging with old leaves, the puddles raised up to my ankles and hail started pelting me. Everyone was exstatic! I saw other joggers jogging soaked, happy simply to be alive, bikers splashing through rivers, cars slowing down, unsure. I also went down a forest trail near my house where I found strange relics in odd places: concrete bench structures, shingles, metal pipe caps labeled "City of Burlington" and things like that. I jogged further and further down this path until I felt like I was in another world. My sense of Blair witchiness was confirmed when I came across a part of the forest where spoons, beads, shells and wire designs dangled from tree branches. I went even further getting a little spooked when I came across a sign that said "WARNING: BEWARE OF GUARD DOGS. AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY". That's when I did a 180 and booked it out of there.

Becoming more athletic as I am now becoming, I discovered the game of squash! Since my roomate and I are both university alumni we have special access to the atheletics centre where we booked two appointments this week to whack the rubber ball against the wall and trip over eachother, sliding to return each serve.

Of course, another reason why I am feeling so grand and so healthy is that it has now been an entire month of not smoking!! Perhaps few of you knew that I was a stinky, dirty smoker before for about 10 years. Well, I took up the driventoquit challenge at the end of February and I am proud to say that I haven't had a single drag since! Yes, I do still crave sucking that filthy, black tar smoke into my lungs but then I think of all the benefits -how in a few years they could be pink again, how my sense of taste is returning, how I save about $80/month and I can run for so much longer that the craving passes.

So I guess the point of all this is that I'm finally starting to feel that I deserve to enjoy life a bit more. I'm still looking for another part time job and have some great resources now but I'll make the best of the rest of the time I have as summer presents so many more recreational options.

What's your favorite thing about summer?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. coming home from work and going to the beach for another couple of hours.

2. sitting outside at someone's house, staying up late with friends because the weather allows us to.

3. women look better in summer.

4. when it's hot and it rains, noone cares because it's refreshing.

5. it's a great season for eating lots of ice-cream with coco, pistachio, chocolate or vanilla taste.

6. I love the smell of a freshly mown lawn.

7:47 a.m.  
Blogger Chuckles said...

#6 is dead on.

My favorite thing about summer?

Ladies in bikinis and halter tops.

Next favorite?

Jogging, so I can look better.

1:08 p.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

This is great news to hear ..Got the job (mashallah = we use this so would not put a bad eye in Middle east)your healthy, on sports, Im proud of you ..for me we dont enjoy the summer it gets soooooooo hot unbearable, so we love the rain and to nest in our quilts when its cold

4:45 a.m.  
Blogger DW and Sarah said...

I enjoyed running through the woods with you - great descriptions.

6:23 p.m.  
Blogger madamerouge said...

yay 4 job!

um, I watched The Secret, too

It made me rethink how negative I was being on my clog.

8:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here