Sunday, March 11, 2007

Music Video of the Week: Fidelity


The spectre of my attention this week has been New York Pianist/Singer Regina Spektor. It has also been this theme of relationships, choices and how one person's life influences the lives of those they care about around them. "Caring" can be both a nurturing and a hazardous force depending on how it's done and why -whether to control, lead by example or comfort through mutual affinity. I've seen it go many ways. Every relationship is filled with different sets of terms to negotiate.

A friend once told me about her current "boyfriend" who she spent time with developing a crush. She was nervous to have "the talk" worrying that starting something serious now might not be smart considering they will be geographically separated in the summer.

She didn't know if the relationship label had the official stamp or not but her girlfriend basically told her to "go for it" and let it happen while there was the chance -worry about the summer when it comes.

From what I gathered of her anecdotes of flirtation, trust and growing sense of togetherness, it seemed to amount to a relationship whether or not they called it such.

They made snow angels together and then kissed.

It quite reminded me of this video which I made her watch, forgetting that the couple in it actually make angels out of the coloured dust that comes out of the heart locket she lets free. Many of the fears have to be faced, whether they break your heart or not, for it is "better to have loved and lost than to have not loved at all."

This song is about taking those risks, baring your soul, not getting caught up in the second thoughts and "voices" in our heads but trusting our hearts. No matter how cliché the message, I found the video very cute and the melody of piano and upright bass something solid to tap my foot to.

Thank you Regina!

8 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

i adore her. she's one of my fave artists of all-time, as of 2006!!!!

11:31 a.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

seems love is coming around ..is it spring over there...love begins at spring time LOL

4:24 a.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Really I enjoyed listen to the song

thanks

4:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do u only serenade me when you are "tipsy" or r u "fine"? me likey so much....totally made my day yet again. i miss me some barrett!!! xoxoxo

summer is soon, we'll have to get together!

8:40 a.m.  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

spring. sun. sex. love. all seems to 'bloom' about now. this post and this video seem to capture that perfectly.

4:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love is a tricky thing. It's good to have caution and it's good to know when to go for it. Sounds like your friend did the right thing.

5:36 p.m.  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Great video.

So sir Barrett, what do you think of Videocom trying to sue Google for one billion because people propagate videos on You Tube.

Do you think Google should charge VideoCom for 'advertising' their products? lol!

6:34 a.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

vesper, iamnasra and cocaine jesus
-It just snowed here a lot so that's a disappointment but yes, I feel spring and all that comes with it in my bones. Regina Spektor helps that as well.

adorable girlfriend -so love isn't just about being irresistably adorable? You're right and I think she was too.

quasar -Interesting question. I'm not familiar with this legal battle although Google has had it's share of them before and things get blurry in this age of digital information. Something is copied virtually every time it shows up on a different monitor. I think the important thing to remember is citing and metataging -giving people proper credit for their work which Google works hard to do in most cases. It makes me uncomfortable that Google scans and digitalizes billions of books, thereby acquiring property that isn't theirs in a way. Maybe they still need to work out a royalty strategy of some kind...but I don't really have the answers.

10:12 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here