Thursday, October 05, 2006

Carolyn's Last Day at the Store

Carolyn the great, Carolyn the mediator, Carolyn the abusive-customer magnet, Carolyn the patient. She will be leaving us.

It's only be a bit more than a week but I've learned lots from her: how to invoice things, which numbers to direct the misdirected to, which models offer which features, how to process DOA's (dead on arrivals) and conform to security measures.

We have lots of good memories already in this short time. Since I've started this job, I haven't had a single conflict with my coworkers!

Today has been laid back as we got an surprise fire drill break outside. She lets me bring in CD's and saves me in moments of near-death-new-employeeness by thorough coaching and reassurance. Barrett, you can do it. I know you can! I waited on hold with one of our activation lines and exaggerated an over-the-top gesticulation, shaking my head emotively to their cheesy wait music. She lost it. I can always make her laugh and it's fun to do because she's like a box of nuts and bolts. When she laughs she starts crumbling and little parts fall all over. Of course, this sometimes takes away from her productivity and she gets short of breath but it's worth the fun.

Special highlights include taping the cardboard boxes together for recycling to make "box coffins", making fun of her country music tastes, imitating and role-playing her complainant customers, backing eachother up when customers (skepzis) think we're simply lying for no reason and going on lunch missions to pick up food.

Though she will be leaving a big hole in our service, we will keep in touch as she has employed me as her guitar teacher! I have the pleasure of teaching her, a left-hander, how to play her brother's right-handed guitar. (It may be a bit of a challenge). We'll see how that works considering I'll have to turn everything I do upside-down to make it work for her! Jimi Hendrix played guitar upside down though right? So why can't she!

Good Luck as an Admin Assistant in the glass industry Carolyn! We will miss you!

General Announcements

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Carolyn was a dear pal.

It's good to find such special people at work.

11:10 p.m.  
Blogger Monami Roy said...

they have separate guitars for left handeds? hendrix, ah, was special. he was like a god playin it.
and farewell to carolyn, job wise.

\m/

9:28 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here