Monday, December 05, 2005

Survival in Simplicity

Today I enjoy the simple things. The heights and freedoms of megalomania are so far from my mind; so far from practical living that the simple things are all I can focus on, and they seem much more valuable than complexity. As holidays near, I take each day at a time. I am not going to save the world today, but I am going to partake in it.

I notice:

birds sitting on the wire, seemingly having all the time in the world.

the way the grain sticks to the noses of the cows I am tending to, and how their breath puffs up in the winter air.

how the snow seems to fall slowly. I imagine that I could be trapped in a giant crystal ball, and that one in another. I could be complete fantasy.

how we have time to sit at traffic lights, and watch others literally move on with their lives.

that friends have compassion. Andy and I shared breakfast and listened to Silverchair together in the car. No one ever really listened to the album that came after Frogstomp, but it is really touching. He sings about wanting to be left alone, but sitting listening to his voice wail about it makes me feel less isolated.

time is fluid. You can slow it down or speed it up if you can psychologically afford not to have it control you. Einstein said it: when he sits beside a beautiful girl in class, time races.

every step on earth is limited, but you can go anywhere. Our heart beats might be numbered, but love cannot be contained in a room. Take a trip off the beaten path today. You'll notice more about your surroundings.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

it's the simple things that matter in the end. you describe such tranquil moments. and it's great that you had a friend to share it with.

i was just talking today about Einstein, his birthdate is the same as mine and that is such an adorable thing he said.

beautiful, reflective writing. made me smile. cheered me up :) thank you.

10:58 p.m.  
Blogger {illyria} said...

now that, my dear sirbarrett, was a writing of faith. it was beautiful and fluid and made me share it with someone special. kudos to you and your amazing facility for being in touch with what matters on this earth. xx.

2:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i stare too long at the birds my eyes hurt!

but know this....i love the snow falling and hitting my face, and i love a hot bath after being out in the cold, and sitting by a fire warming up after being wet and cold outside from having a snowball fight. i'm building an ice rink in the yard so i can repeatedly fall on my ass...should be fun! :)

glad u r feeling better!!!

9:52 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here