Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Update on my Life Contingency Plan

I haven't quite started exams yet, but I'm working on my last 5 assignments this week. I'm tired and drained. It's funny how apathy hits you in these times, just when you're almost touching the finish line. I just got accepted to another school for next year, the one I applied to because I felt like I might need an escape route from where I am now. I have been calling them for weeks and getting lost in the maze of extensions and voicemails, leaving my irritable message that I would like to find out what is going on, and why do I still have a pending status? Finally they called me back and told me yes! You've been accepted, after they made me search for my id number until they conveniently recalled it first. With a sensation of battle fatigue and a stomach whose gears have stopped churning, a pile of documents waiting for me to sort on my desk, and a dull razor that I can't even shave myself with, it's hard to care.

None of it seems to make a difference: whether I finish a two-year college diploma in PR vs. one year of a two-year college diploma and a one year post-grad certificate in corporate comm and PR. Do I increase current spending or diversify my bonds? I might build more contacts one way, but lose grip on the ones I have at the same time. They would both take up the same amount of time. I could continue living with my parents in this comfortable little dungeon or live on my own and have some autonomy in a city I've never really been before. I could flip a coin but now I'm thinking I might just base my decision on how well I do this semester, and only take the opportunity if I really need it. I have been feeling more resilient lately since the numbness set in. Somehow I run around completing interviews, mailing surveys and queuing up people to delegate who gets done what when and I'm surprised to think I can do it. Anyway, I'll have until mid July to decide for sure, but this just gives me an extra cushion of possibility.

3 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Or, you could do both. Finish the last year of the program since you're already halfway there, and then do the 1 year post-grad certificate afterward. It would increase your marketability. Think, if you're going up against graduates of your current program, and instead of just having a 2 year diploma in PR, you also have a 4 year degree in English, and a 1 year post-grad cert, well, you're just gonna' kick some behind.

4:36 p.m.  
Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Here's some food for thought: No matter what you decide there will come a time in the near or distant future where you'll probably wish you took the other path. I always keep in mind that there are many ways to reach a destination. Even if a path turns out to be a dead end (disenheartening as it can be) you can always turn back and get started on a new route.

Every decision puts into effect a whole new chain of events. If there is a science that allows one to accurately predict the interconnectivity of these decisions I am not familiar with it. You can force a decision to lead to success if you a determined enough...that is what I believe.

10:07 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Those are some good points. They make me think it's not so much the decision that matters but what I do to commit to them that will effect the outcome. I have a fortune cookie fortune in my wallet that says something like: "your success is intertwined with your attitude" I believe it is.

7:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here