Thursday, March 31, 2005

Ethics of Living and Dying

Although, to be honest, I'm tired of hearing about the issue, and I hope that after today, it will be laid to rest. This issue has been so emotionally charged, and I wish peace to the family involved. However, I just wanted to discuss some of my reactions to what I regarded as a highly creative and insightful piece. I think it would be something like this in reality if she woke up.

It is interesting that while there seems to be many who protest the removal of a feeding tube for supposed ethical reasons, many people say that they would not want to live in a vegetative state themselves. So whether those who are pro-right to dying are just not speaking in fear of being seen callous or not, I don't know.

It was interesting to hear someone from this side of the ethical argument saying succintly what I've thought: that the issue is really about whether we support a kind of life that is beneficial to the individual (and what 'beneficial' means). I think many agree that in the case of an individual who has been in a coma for 15 years and whose brain tissue has been replaced with fluid, there is no beneficial purpose to living.

In that case, if I were in a vegetative state, I would prefer to have the right to die and hope, despite Bush's recent contrary defining of the word 'strength' that those who were caring for me would have the strength to pull my tube out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

There was absolutely ZERO chance that this woman would've ever regained consciousness. No therapy, no wonder treatment, nothing would've rescued her from her state. I, personally, think it is a shame that people used this case as pro-life platform. Her reflexive movements being characterized as "her will to live."

By their argument...perhaps we should prevent everyone from dying when possible (i.e., cryogenics). After all, there may be a distant future where they could be rescued.

Personally, I'm confident that my family would not condemn me to live in that state of existence. It seems that people wanted her to live for their own comfort...not hers.

10:40 p.m.  
Blogger Lioness said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:02 a.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:48 p.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Sometime they say if some one die,,All the body pain will go away ..a new lif awaits him that was controlled by

Very senetive matter

4:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here