Wednesday, December 22, 2004

You Think You're Hot with a Phone?: This Big Boy' Got a Challenge For Ya!!

So. Phoning and talking via alternate means of communication other than directly, as in real life has become so much a part of our lives now. It's cheap, convenient. Heck! With Rogers Wireless phones you can text message almost anywhere in the world for only 20 cents (or less) a message!!! It's so important for us to keep in touch with people virtually everywhere that we don't necessarily ever run ourselves into. We can even send our cute little pictures and even videos to those we love so much. It also important that the dialogue runs both ways, so it's great and rewarding that it's completely FREE to text message in reply of a previous text message, making the whole interaction that much more stabilized in its potential to continue, and reciprocate, and grow, get enmeshed, etc. you GET my point.

BUT what if, you're area isn't covered? What if you live say, in New Caledonia? (I don't really know if they have coverage or not so don't question me on it but if I was in New Caledonia right now I'd be suckin down a juicy coconut thinking about other things) NO TEXT MESSAGES FOR YOU!!!!!!!!! Well, here's another text message or rather challenge for ya: what do you do if you have a phone, like most people you know that you might go so far as to call 'normal', but it's NOT a GSM phone?

Rogers deliberately states that only GSM mobiles make the cut for this deal. They cannot promise that the message will be delivered even if you phone is a GSM. (Who's the smartypants who knows what the GSM acronymn means?). Sometimes people aren't listed with the local operator, and then that is another sad tale of the overriding weakness of bureaucracy, and the failure to serve, because little Timmy didn't get his text message.

Well, I think what most 'normal' would do if their phone was not GSM and/or the person they're trying to send text messages isn't a GSM mobile would just figure that out and call it a day. Yeah, they might first suspect they got the wrong number or that the international code wasn't right. I on the other hand, after checking that the number was correct, tried sending over 20 txt msgs and watched disappointed as they all piled back into my phone's account, instead of proceeding successfully, like young birds from the nest. See, I just had so much determination, I was convinced that eventually they would get through, trial and error style.

My messages didn't fly. They failed miserably. I've already checked the number again thank you. I'm not an idiot. I'll assume it's because the person's phone is not a GSM. Someone tell me: what other forms of cell phones are there. Enlighten me. I dare you.

3 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

As far as I kno, which is only a little more than you, there are at least THREE types of cellphone (wireless phone) technology that are incompatible with one another, depending on where you are and where the sender/receiver on the other end is. There's GSM, and there's something-else-1 (commonly used in North America) and there's something-else-2 (the one I use in Israel). If you want to be able to send and receive anywhere outside your own technology, or at least anywhere that has any cellphone signals at all, you need to get what is called a Tri-band phone. All I know about Tri-band is that it costs a lot more to use than the one I have.

7:07 a.m.  
Blogger Lioness said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:11 a.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

yeah, I guess it's just my phone. I love my phone but my phone only has so much love for me. It expresses it through melodies, beeping and shining it's cycloptic eye at me. It's not good with text, but I can forgive it for that. We have understanding.

3:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here