Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Speed River

when idle time idly looms
I go to the Speed river's side
There to survey the quiet loons
my iPod offering a ride*

Sitting still, tucked in a nook
whittling down the daily hours
rapt in leisure with my book
til the sweet sunlight doth sour

Not to bother at the market
nor with industry or hay
Not a farmer nor accountant
for I afford to laze all day

Seagulls join me by the dam
where cigarette butts line the wall
They will pick and prattle on
until the stones they land on fall

Here I can be at such peace
watching seaweed slowly drift
Though water under bridges heaped
will be my work for 'morrow's shift

*I don't actually own an iPod, nor are there loons at the Speed River in Guelph, Ontario. These are two fictions which I took the liberty of writing. However, I was listening to CBC radio on my phone and watching the ducks while children fed them bread.

@ Copyright Sirbarrett 2007

Poetry

2 Comments:

Blogger phish said...

i like the simple ease of the words that grabbed me and made me read them again.

will be back.

6:26 a.m.  
Blogger {illyria} said...

when idle time idly looms

i love the simplicity of this. the gentle foreboding.

8:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here