Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Celebrating 25 Years of Greatness


A quarter of a century ago, in about the same amount of time it takes for a time out in basketball, I came through the curtains onto the world stage. I burst into the sun (though shaded by a tree). With a quick swipe of a jack-knife, my father severed the cord attaching my mother and I and I was, for the first time, an autonomous organism and distinct noun. I'm sure I was happy to be held -I don't actually remember. Though soon enough, I was whisked away in a picnic table cloth and driven to my new home.

Now the time is hard to imagine and it's speeding up! I know that this is but a cameo in the story of life itself but I hope the next 25 years will be as interesting as the first. So far I've made a good run of scattering myself around, seeing things, picking up rocks, finding useful things and disposing of what isn't, building fires and resting in shaded areas, picking up old habits again. If I've learned anything, it's that most things change. I owe my inspiration to all those that have taught me, joked with me, kept me in check, sat with me, questioned me and been my friend. I owe it to those that have come and gone and those who have stayed throughout.

Since that moment when I started, however blurry the lines may be, it has been a celebration of greatness, or at least that's a frame of mind. It is also all the small failures that reaffirm the importance of living well and the lesson of living once. Being born at a party, I was born to party and I'll do it til I die. Memento mori. With age though comes caution. Funny how we learn from mistakes after we've made them.

As it becomes increasingly difficult for me to remember names and as the telomeres of my DNA run out of pigment for my hair and protein for my skin, I will remember faces, words and deeds, if not through the functioning of my brain, at least through the yearning of my heart.

I also look forward to meeting all those that I haven't yet met. There is always something to look forward to! It is written somewhere, neither here nor there, that our fates will cross. One of the best parts is that none of us know if, how, or when...or why.

But even those of you that I may never meet, you will affect me indirectly. The world will form a new set of eccentricities, idiosyncracies and rules to defy everything I previously thought. Perhaps cell phones will go out of fashion or Australia will migrate to the northern hemisphere. Before I rot to dust I want to make it good, to watch children grow and old ones make glorious exits or graceful departures.

With you help, I'm sure we will.

PS-Happy Birthday to Jimmy

As for the song of the day, Crazy is it because it strikes me a good theme song about losing one's mind but gaining one's perspective. "Maybe we're crazy. Possibly...Think twice -that's my only advice." True words of wisdom! It seems a song about gaining wisdom from chasing your dreams and realizing that they'll always propell you farther into something you never expected in the first place. It's the Socratic conundrum: the more we know, the more we know we don't know.




General Announcements

14 Comments:

Blogger x said...

happy birthday! 25 is a great -as in important- number! xx

9:55 a.m.  
Blogger Katherine Kean said...

Hey, Happy Birthday!

Much like "the more you know, the more you know you don't know", we may become more cautious with age and with further age learn to be free again.

Glad to have you on the planet.

11:37 a.m.  
Blogger Lorena said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARRETT!!!!

Hope you have a great day and year ahead :)

and it was really great reading your reflective thoughts. i especially liked how you put that even though we might not meet everyone, we do meet them indirectly. we all carry pieces of each other. -hope that makes sense :-)

cheers to many more blessings!!

2:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

May all your hopes and wishes come true!

(You, Jimmy and Salem are just rockin' the b-day boards).

4:29 p.m.  
Blogger mistipurple said...

hey, happy birthday to youuuu!
great post btw. tugging a bit at my heartstrings too. have a good one, stay cool, have a great life! hugs and more hugs for the journey. xxx

4:31 p.m.  
Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Cautious with age?! I beg to differ my friend. Ever year that passes I get a little more frantic...a little more dangerous...a little more edgy. In another 25 years I'll be a rockstar.

ps. Happy b-day. You've earned it.

8:24 p.m.  
Blogger Pincushion said...

Happy Birthday Sir B!

I shall always remember your sentence' " Theres always something to look forward to!"

A wise head there :))

10:48 a.m.  
Blogger Udge said...

A belated happy birthday, Mr. Barrett. Here's to the next 25!

1:00 p.m.  
Blogger madamerouge said...

I hope you had fun... it was good seeing you on Wed. night.

12:47 a.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

Happy Bday. I hate that I'm older than you. Nothing is fair. I'm ready for my midlife crisis soon.

2:17 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

chloe -Thanks for the fun gifts! I put the gel thingies all over the mirror and the CD is full of summer fun!

katherine -Glad to have you on the planet too. Yeah, perhaps Lord Chimmy made me rethink that statement. I suppose with some things you learn to watch out, with others, you learn to let go.

lorena -you are a prime example of someone I've never met but from whom I'm definitely influence. I'm glad to have met you, indirectly.

adorable girlfriend -Yes, it seems a popular birthday day. My friend DW also had a new baby girl one day after!

mistipurple -Yeah, I hope it wasn't oversentimental. I always kind of hate birthdays as much as I love them, you know? I love them though.

lord chimmy -Please refer to response to katherine. Yes, being a rockstar is ideal sometimes. At your rate, I doubt it will take 25 years.

pincushion -It's always good to have at least some of your head in the future, although when you're a cancer the typical syndrome is to dwell in the past.

finnegan -I think we're all crazy.

udge -Thanks Udge!

madamerouge -Yes, it was fun. Where did you guys go after?

jason -Didn't you just turn 13? I know it may be tough being a teenager but 13 really isn't that old. You still have a long way to go. (See, that's what I'm going to have to do more these days -just be in denial and pretend I'm young)

2:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

1:46 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you! I hope all your years are filled with wonderful things. =)

9:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in the blogworld intermittently of late.
Belated VERY happy quarter century B-day!
INteresting way you entertained us with your beginnings, middles,and aspirations. I enjoy your twist on life and reading your comments on shared blogs.
Pleasure to have "met" you.

4:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here