Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Watching Movies, Having Relationship Problems and Really Digging my New Job

"How are you...Mrs. Darcy?...Mrs. Darcy *kiss*"

The end of Pride and Prejudice, starring the gorgeous (check out her biters!) Keira Knightly, finishes with Mr.Darcy repeating Elizabeth's new last name. He asks her what he should call her when he's angry at her, when he's mad about her, when he's quizzicle. She tells him to call her Mrs.Darcy only when he is truly happy, so he says it a million times. The "torment" he's endured loving her has finally come together in a marriage.

You've got to appreciate this movie for the glimpse of the whole family that it offers, the beautiful scenery, and the colourful personalities: little flirty Lydia, who's just a girl excited about the possibilities of life, Mary, the reserved and unsure middle child, and Mary, the watchful, thoughtful and shyly beautiful older sister, whose romantic success and failure act as a foreshadowing and evaluation for the values of the movie at the outset. When she finally decides upon the man, and he comes to terms with the woman being the one in the ultimate position to accept or deny the request, they marry happily.

It is a story about how important relationships are, especially in the era when Jane Austin wrote the novel. Having four sisters, I related to the wonderful way the sisters were portrayed as close friends, vying for each others struggles, primping eachother, gossiping and wanting to know every detail of eachother's lives. Marriage wasn't always about love, as the one sensible but unromantic sister proves, by marrying the silly though practical pastor. It could be a dangerous prospect. Women's whole lives were focused around solidifying an arrangement that would keep them safe, if not happy, but this main character, Elizabeth "Lizzy", will not settle for the flowery worded though idiotic man that her sister later does. Her quick wit and strong will lead her bear out Mr.Darcy, the seemingly arrogant rich man who she comes to love through his kindness and devotion to her, proving his valiance. He is the dark brooding type, and she is someone who will say what she thinks, while being playful enough to nurture him out of his aristocratic shell.

So I liked the movie a lot. It was a nice way to end a good day. I love my job. People are nice, I feel appreciated, and I'm exposed to so many interesting things. Most of today I spent plugging away at an article which talks about a very exciting initiative. I did research, blew the dust off my draft from yesterday and increased it from 400 to 900 words, then rearranged the sentences, put in an attention-grabbing intro and tightened it up again, bringing it back to 800.

Today was also the anniversary of the banning of landmines internationally. I had the pleasure of spending some time in the same room as Lloyd Axworthy, who is now president of the University of Winnepeg, but had a long career in politics, advancing several UN agenda's including the ban of landmines in 1999. Landmines really seem to be a symbol of how senseless and hellish war is. One day you're tilling a field and then BOOM! You can never walk again, or maybe you never take another breath. This is a very good reason to have a dinner party. Every hour a landmine changes or ends someone's life somewhere in the world, often a woman or child. I feel lucky to be in a place where I don't have to worry about such dangers. In some places, bombs are disguised as toys that children want to play with.

My band is most likely having a break-up. At this time I don't know how I feel about it, but I'm not as devastated as I've been over losing a girl. I've never been good at long-term relationships, and this one just kinda feel apart, even as I fought for it. I missed last practice and while I was gone an argument flared up. It wasn't the first. We're still having one more practice tomorrow, kind of like for old time sake. Have you ever gone out with an ex, just because you know that you liked being around them and are used to that, but then when you're there you're not sure what to do or how to act? It might be a bit like that, only, we're going to focus on the music. Maybe it was never meant to be. It could have been a beautiful thing. Maybe it will give birth to something else.

Tomorrow is Dr. Seuss's birthday. Since yesterday was Shrove Tuesday, maybe tomorrow I'll have green eggs and ham.

Oh, and the word of the day is moribund, because if I don't go to sleep soon, I feel like I'm going to die.

Goodnight.

Posted as Personal Diegesis

10 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

I will have to go see this film now that you reviewed it so nicely.

sorry to hear about the break-up of your band. hope you still continue to pursue your music career, you have an amazing voice.

i'm glad you got to be in the company of someone you admire.
you are such a well rounded individual.

bueno, hope you have a great day!! :)

11:35 p.m.  
Blogger x said...

i loved Pride and Prejudice.
I wouldn't worry too much about the band thing. You are an acomplished artist and i think -although that's just my opinion- you can do it alone and much better. The others are always going to be a burden. You write beautiful lyrics, your voice is excellent, your music is fantastic, you play everything yourself, what do you need others for?
xxx
still miss you my friend :)

1:32 a.m.  
Blogger Prmod Bafna said...

Hmmm mayb i should check out the movie too! Its really sad to be living in country where landmines are still around and sure it does destroy or change lives just way beyond comprehension :s

Looks like your taking the break-up as it comes and hopefully not cranking :) Haven't got to see much of your work.. but form what others say you sure must be good! keep it going on! and best of luck with your job too!

2:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keira Knightly = Delicious.

Not as much as Lucy Pinder, but you can't have it all.

I want to see that movie "Domino". Apparently she does a semi-striptease in it.

6:53 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in there and celebrate the joys with the sorrows!

5:51 p.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

i seriously dislike K Knightly .. she only has a few facial expressions that she used in every movie .. not a good actor at all ..and she's not even hot .. i haven't seen the movie .. i'd rather watch DOOM than watch her in a movie.

ahaan @ band breakup .. welcome to the club .. and yaa so you got the job haan? .. the same one that u went to the interview for?

The ban of landmines affect which countries? Afghanistan and Iraq are full of landmines ..

6:51 p.m.  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Two out of three is not bad!

Sorry to hear about the band break-up. I always say, when one door closes, a window opens.

Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss!

6:58 a.m.  
Blogger Beth said...

I LOVED that movie!

Sorry about the band, Sugar.

Have a good weekend!

4:26 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

OK, first of all ABOUT THE BAND: Ironically we all ran into each other this evening at open mic after cancelling our practice. In a sense we all caught each other red-handed. We're in that awkward in between stage of being glad we're through and missing each other but at the same time not really sure whether we're through or sure whether it's cheating to play other music. I realized that my frustrations basically stem from not having the same amount of time to learn the songs as the rest of them. I was introduced to the band like EIGHT MONTHS after they started jamming together, so OF COURSE it's not going to be easy to learn the songs and OF COURSE that's going to cause some tension. Right now I'm taking a break and practicing the songs on my own (with the mp3 files on my computer) until I have something solid to bring back to the band. In the meantime I'm working on some of my own stuff, taking it easy, and not getting stressed about it. I appreciate it because the music IS good and it's great practice having a band but I DO need this break. It's complicated. It always is.

Lorena -You simply must go see it!

chloe -Thanks for all your words, painting my eyes in a warm bath of goodness. Even though my microphone died, I sang a song for you tonight.

xfreakx -Yes, landmines are terrible weapons. I'm disappointed that cluster bombs haven't been outlawed and are still being used. Those little buggers have duds that get stuck in the mud for awhile but then you never know when they're going to go off anytime, and all because of a war that was supposed to be "weeks, not months". Someone remind me that it's 2006 now.

captain bee -You should marry Lucy Pinder. I'm serious. I'd play organ. We could invite Nabeel and make him and rent Doom for the reception.

madelyn -I think I would too if I had read the book. I've added it to the list though. Ear wiggles.

adorable girlfriend -Oh I'm hanging on with my teeth!

nabeel -But the expressions she does have are so expressive!! She's so mature for a nineteen year old! Ok. You're coming to captain bee's wedding and we're going to watch Doom together.

Yeah, I have a 'co-op placement' at the place I went to the interview at. It's a sweet deal.

The ban of landmines doesn't magically eradicate the world from landmines. There are still millions buried in places like Afghanistan, Iraq, Nicaragua, Vietnam, Korea, tons of places. However, there are few places that still manufacture them -China, U.S. etc and international trade is banned, so it still exists in the black market. However, the ban was signed by many countries and it set a standard. 30 million landmines have been removed since.

barbarafromcalifornia -Thank you for that thought. I think it's true. You cannot realize the potential of one thing until something else is gone. Also, I think it's a lot more fun to go flying out windows than using a boring old door.

queen of ass -It was so good how it showed the domestic sphere. You liked Kiera Knightly too didn't you? Say it! Saaaaaaaaaaaaay it! (My therapist tells me I need to work on being less controlling)

12:56 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so tell me something....what do you do for your band?

singer, drummer, guitar?

i'm only asking because my nephew...in law....has a band, they're very good, but they are looking for a new member I believe.....they're in some contest too this coming wed. if they win they go to Germany, and tour. They do Green Day like no one i've heard, it's awesome, plus they do their own music as well, very indie/rock/punkish/stuff like that. they're early 20's. i'm just sayin.

12:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here