Monday, February 20, 2006

Tribute to Tree

The storm took her down, for she was not willing. This is a big sturdy maple no more. My father and I examined her many limbs, then with our surgical tools, cut apart.

The axe I swung, mighty but deceiving, a couple of times, the axe bounced right back. I was sweating and heaving til evening, ravens just watching, snow on the ground. The stubborn grain had to be approached precisely, so I focused intently on the centre of the block. Crack! The fibers split! Ease all the tension! When the knot is so tight, there can be nothing more grand. I satisfy myself getting wedged right between it. Off it creaks, like the vampire's coffin door.

Split Siamese twins, only the tree feels nothing. Her skin has long ago ceased to wear her like a coat. Peeling so easy, like the dress off a stripper, my red maul, flashing: mad blur in the air.

Now it sits halfwise. Now it lays helpless. This is the great dieretic undoing. I am now staring at nature's own neurons, cells shocked by actions, abused, dumb and lame. I stop to marvel at the beautiful patterns, creases: the wrinkles of calculable time!
I feel degraded for how I've destroyed it, yet I know purpose by packing the pile. Look at its sad face. Oh how it's humbled! Nothing left for it, 'cept into the fire. The tall figures haunt me. The forest is judging. What can I say that will lessen the blame? "Murder it wasn't. The weather was raging. I did not do it. The wind was who did! I say the tree has now come to fruition. What it can't say now is writ in these lines."

"This was no cruel vivisection," I whispered through their torsos.

Filed under Poetry

@Copyright 2005 Sirbarrett

18 Comments:

Blogger J said...

"The forest is judging."

Lol, good imagery. My condolences.

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger Prmod Bafna said...

Wonderful poetry and great use of images!

8:34 a.m.  
Blogger Beth said...

Poor, poor tree....

10:45 a.m.  
Blogger Lorena said...

wow this was great. i love the fluidness of your words. great pictures as well. i wonder how old the tree was?

i also love how you gave voice to the trees surroundings. so clever :)

10:57 p.m.  
Blogger BlackEmpress said...

U gave a new meaning to cutting the trees.
Well at least u feel fot it.
Very beautifully written & portrayed.

5:43 a.m.  
Blogger x said...

do you know this song by the Pulp, i like it so much and you reminded it to me with this (lovely) post.


The smell of leaf mould & the sweetness of decay
are the incense at the funeral procession here, today.
Yeah, the trees, those useless trees produce the air that I am breathing.
the trees those useless trees; they never said that you were leaving.
You try to shape the world to what you want the world to be.
Carving your name a thousand times won't bring you back to me.
I might as well go & tell it to the trees.

11:54 a.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:35 p.m.  
Blogger iamnasra said...

this is true wiritng of faith..Here we are when the fate takes tool even on its tree...I felt like crying and I felt Im dying with every hit of this magical tree...But it was not you who had fated her end.. it was an accumlation of nature's hands...it died long ago before your hands have ever touched her... Her sprit remains in your hands...

Thank you for bring such magical story of this ancient tree ..I was deeply touched...

12:37 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love lamp.

5:38 p.m.  
Blogger stella said...

Such a gentle soul!

This reminds me of the Zen saying 'chopping wood and carrying water' - recognizing the sacredness of every act.

Thanks for saying hi on my blog. I appreciate your comment!

7:37 p.m.  
Blogger Om said...

Very nice Sir B! You truly are Grand Sir to eulogize a tree lost to nature! Very smarty written!

2:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing writing as always.

10:19 a.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

you can tell the age of a tree by the number of ring layers it has (which are clearly visible in the wood and your pictures) ..

which storm took her down?

4:30 p.m.  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

really like the way that you have spaced the pictures and prose apart so that they form something like a song with pictures for sound and words for lyrics. also love the final pic and the closing line. clever stuff.

8:28 a.m.  
Blogger mistipurple said...

i'm eating some cakes
and saying "thank coo!" *wink*

2:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a Waterloo in Canada too?

First time here, clicked through on Mitzzee's blog.

Kracker was here.

8:35 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

incidentally (is that right??) i might be getting some time off soon...if i do, i'm coming out to waterloo to buy you a drink or take you to lunch,k?

about time we finally met face to face. hope your job is going well B...take it easy. :) xo

that Kracker, he's everywhere...

8:50 a.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

wonderful. but such is life. I wouldn't shed a tear for the tree, but would for your words.

8:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here