Thursday, February 14, 2008

Just a Note on Valentines Day



If love hurts then should you avoid it? Well, according to the band the Smiths: "I am human and I need to be loved...just like everybody else does." So love is unavoidable? It's part of Maslow's needs. We grow through its challenges and its upsets. There are libraries full of song lyrics about love, Petrachian poetry, Sex for Dummies etc. and we can see its proposed expression through the purchase of everything from a set of roses to a diamond ring. We can see why this holiday is a commercial success. For some, this is enough of a reason to boycott it.

If you're one of those guys who is unsentimental perhaps you'll make it through the day without having to do very much at all. But if you have a girlfriend, watch out. She may pretend not to make a big deal about it, but she's expecting a bit of extra love. My roomate's girlfriend just showed him her love by bringing him Tim Horton's coffee (but he's still sleeping). Loss of points? We'll see.

As for me, last night I was walking alone and I saw that someone had written "LOVE" in the snow. It was a nice idea but it reminded me of the pressure of loving at this time of year when everyone is particularly vitamin D deficient. I walked a couple steps further and then I saw the word "CALM" so I breathed. I'll be having a calm, casual, light-love occassion, listening to Roy Orbison...and possibly treating myself to a tan the salon.


HAPPY VALENTINES ALL!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

I wish you blogged more often.
It's odd because you're the 2nd guy in a short period of time who confessed to be listening to Roy Orbison. Is that a new guy-trend? ;)

"the pressure of loving" - that gave me the creeps. Why? If you love, you love, if you don't love, you don't. :P

You should read one of my latest posts; it has a vitamin D supplement. Oh and I think love can be avoided. Some people manage to keep away from it forever, unfortunately for them.

4:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man that cupid video was friggin hilarious!

3:44 a.m.  
Blogger madamerouge said...

I'd have been tempted to overwrite the "love" in the snow with pee.

7:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here