Friday, September 01, 2006

To Whom it May Concern: A Letter Concerning my new Employment

Kind ladies and gentle men,

After a long and arduous search, I am pleased to present you with the most welcome news of my nearest employment. I will follow my heart to the heart of the town, where an offer fit for the crown is now appointed to me, or rather: I to it. This morning I made my follow-up call and received my prize. The job was offered, it was not a guise! I went to great lengths to get away and scour the market with only dour consequences for so long. I spent my sixpence succumbing to scams and scattering my CV idly but now that is all gone. Hark! It is not all for naught!

I have worked hard and received hardness of work, chasing down pillows and de-ruffling ruffles, cleaning desktops and scraping barrel bottoms to please and appease, accommodate and estimate, clear and accrue charges, settle scuffles, muffle noise, offer toys and whirlpools for expectant guests. I was not made to be a maid and although that has not been my chief role, I have bade farewell to the chief, acquiring from him a civil promise of patronage, in the form of a reference letter. Answering phones and reporting numbers unencumbered me with organizational skills multifaceted, though now this role I am ready to basket it. I ding the bell for my call of leave.

Now it seems clear I can remain nearer, committing my good efforts at such convenient proximity to my future home! I am anointed with the lucky grace of being placed in a proper position with excellent benefits befitting my excellence, be they self-proclaimed or not. It is also in juxtaposition to my desired skill set. Though not identical in exactitude to my plentitude, it is safe to say this is a great day. I could have almost bet that I couldn’t achieve it, though I did, in my own way. Not finding a job can be rough, considering it is made up of snake-skin rejection. However, (and that is how it is done), all it takes is one handshake, and the deal is sealed, the battle won. This acceptance is my elation!

With probity in mind I now give thee and all others concerned adequate notice of my exit for this entrance. As a result, I will be out of my current post, watching the ghosts and graves of night shifts and living a spendthrift existence. I will be resurrected towards the light of a daytime schedule but only after serving students, guests and grooms by providing them with rooms for the remainder of their stay, and for mine, which is approximated at two weeks henceforth.

Thank you all for your endurance of attention, your stamina of spirit, your ebullience and earnestness. Sincerely, it has been an interesting if not perverse experience working in the hotel industry. Nothing lasts forever except time itself, which merely gets lost by weaving through its own coil. Well, my time has come to check out. So in haste I tie fresh reins to my chariot, to ride on to bigger and better things in a larger sphere of socialization.

With my left hand I bid you adieu, with my right I gesture good morning…and welcome to the all new professional me!

At liberty,
Sir Barrett

Personal Diegesis

11 Comments:

Blogger sophie said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!
(hugs and joy)

1:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! So, are you the new president of some huge company now?

6:15 a.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Thank you both! No, I'm not a president Kuenst. Not yet. I wish! Rather, it's an entry-level position doing Customer Service for a telecommunications corporation...but I'm thinking it will be stable and there will be good benefits, so I'm excited.

8:28 p.m.  
Blogger mistipurple said...

heyheyhey, with my right hand i shake yours, a bow and a pat with my left. congrats my good man, you've made your way to a better gain, i see that what you've worked for is not in vain. i wish you success from the bottom of the rung, for that rung will bring you to the top you hear! to the top!
congrats once more!

11:07 p.m.  
Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Hopefully you maintain your enthusiasm after being at your new job for a few months.

Hope it all works out smashingly...

11:11 p.m.  
Blogger Prmod Bafna said...

Wow! Congratulations!! I'm glad you got the job and are so excited! Makes me happy to see you happy :) Have a great one!!

9:51 a.m.  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Many congratulations!

I am truly very happy for you, and cannot wait to hear more about your newest employment.

5:43 p.m.  
Blogger J said...

Congrats, Barrett. I knew your perseverance would pay off.

A word of advice, if I may. If you're like me (which I suspect you may be), you will more than likely eventually come to loathe customer service. It can be a true test of patience and self-restraint. But, stay in your role 6 - 12 months, and I promise you, tons of opportunities will open up for you in other companies.

I just reread that and realized that it seems like I'm raining on your parade. I'm not trying to come off that way at all -- just mentioning it since I know that a lot of companies post jobs that require at least 6 months call center experience (and because I know that it's easy to feel a strong desire to quit the job before 6 months is up! =))

The point of all of this? This could be a great stepping stone into a thriving career. Congrats again!

10:48 p.m.  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Congrats!
Welcome to the world of
timetables & scheduled mind warps

Entry level telecom Customer services
just chill, go with the flow, enjoy the ride on the crest of the wave

7:55 a.m.  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Internet Surfing
Customer service surfing
Life surfing

7:56 a.m.  
Blogger Chocolate Monkey said...

Hey

Good luck. Always good to keep on the move, you never know where you may be heading!

CM

8:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here