Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Frustrated with Murphy's Law

I've been applying for jobs every day after working 9-5. The dream of independence, of finally being finished school lives within me. I sometimes get responses, and then I find out the positions all hinge on me being available some day that I'm not. I sometimes get career alerts about starting my road to financial independence via some internet scam/work-from-home package. Then I want to hurt someone because if it's worked for so many before why not me? I should hope things work out. Today they just announced a 4 percent increase in tuition.

Remember the tree I loved so well? I spent hours splitting the wood. Someone stole it all. I suppose I shouldn't have left it in a pile facing the road.

I worked on my songs so that they would be perfectly ready to record. Now my computer won't register my microphone no matter what I do.

I wrote an excellent article that my mentor really liked. It was a ghost article about someone else's project. It got me excited. It got me heated. I had a passionate opinion and I wrote persuasively about it to the best of my ability, throwing in some humour. The article was supposed to be an opinion editorial after all. Then two other people took it upon themselves to re-write it. Each one individually. Without an opinion. Their articles were very informative. And bland. They had no feedback for me. Today the article was supposed to be submitted to the local paper but it wasn't ready because those two were still messing with it. Apparently they figured out that their articles should be the length that my article originally was. Perhaps I should have told them that. I'm sorry they wasted their time becoming so involved with something I was happy with.

Nothing really seems to matter right now though in a good way or a bad way. I am sitting comfortably at home and I have absolutely no homework due tomorrow. In general things are quite good. No traumas recently, just silly little things. I am a pessimist and then I am an optimist and then I wonder if I can trust myself to feel. Faith is such an ellusive thing. When my hopes get up then something hilariously dreadful often happens. I think each time it proves that while the tests get harder, the results at least are a little different.

Speaking of tests, remember this? We had another little reminder, a reassuring/creepy little Al-Jazeera broadcast today. My brothers Harmeet, Jim, and Norman are apparently still alive. Where's Tom though? Yo Tommyboy! Harmeet's got a great look going on. He looks like Snoop. I really hope the cameramen are just playing mind games and that once the cameras are turned off Tom is the one yelling "CUT!" and then the Swords of Righteousness Brigade are the ones giving them credit on their convincing performance and then they are allowed to have a card game and drink some fresh coffee or resume their fussball game. When things don't all work the right way you've just got to hold on, and the Christian Peacemaker's Team's family is an example of that. If I don't have faith in all things all the time, right now I have faith that these Christians are safe with the enemy, unlike those who go looking for enemies because they are unsafe with themselves. I could be wrong though. Good things happen to bad people and sometimes the good die young.

C'mon luck. Don't give up on me now. If this doesn't get resolved, I don't graduate. I'm so close...

filed under Personal Diegesis

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry my dear, but I actually cried laughing when I read about your poor tree, because I remember seeing that post and thinking holy shit he really liked that tree and put a lot of effort into it....so no solice, but you made me laugh with your demise, although i do feel so sorry that some asshole swiped it...that's RIDICULOUS! But I promise it was NOT me. LOL....cheer up buttercup, you have umpteen zillion more years to face murphy, he's a bastard in sheeps clothing...but once in a while you get to kick him in the arse and that makes it all worth it. YOU ROCK! You'll graduate, YOU WILL.....those porkers won't allow the downfall of 100's of students to occur, it will fall on their scapegoat tails, just remember, when you think there's no lemon left to squeeze get out a fork and jab that mother fucker! XO :P

2:52 p.m.  
Blogger J said...

"Then I want to hurt someone because if it's worked for so many before why not me?"

That's the point -- it hasn't worked for so many people. The only people making money off those Internet get-rich schemes are the people doing the scheming.

As for graduating, why wouldn't you graduate despite the strike? You're done all your courses, aren't you? It's not like you're missing class time right now, so shouldn't you graduate anyway?

11:07 p.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

You truly deserve better. Why were they allowed to screw with your original article? Also what is therecord.com? I must be old and getting senile. Sorry. Hang in there.

11:14 p.m.  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

wow that surely is Murphy's Law you are dealing with!

nice blog by thw way!

1:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll find something. The first job out of college was my hardest. It gets easier.

5:08 a.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

madelyn -Thank you for the comfort. You're right.

mitzzee -Well, I don't want to make you cry but if you laugh too then I'm glad. Thanks for telling me 'the stuff' and giving me a cheer up. I'm sharpening my fork right now.

j -I'm pretty sure I will graduate and right now I'm on placement so it doesn't affect me. The only way it would is if they're still on strike in a few weeks when I have final projects and a couple classes to complete.

jimmy -I think a collaborative writing effort is the best way to produce quality work although I'm not always used to and I'm learning to recognize criticism and difference of opinion constructively. You're not getting senile. The Record is simply our local paper here in the K-W region. Thanks for being supportive.

Live,Love,Laugh, -Yeah. I wonder if Murphy has brothers. Nice picture.

adorable girlfriend -I'm anticipating that. Every job post wants at least 3 years of experience, but it's good to know this is the harder part.

opinionatedinjerzee -I just read the unfortunate news. Gunshots in the head, chest and signs of torture. This was a man who never hurt anyone. My condolences to the family. Jill Caroll, reporter of Christian Science Monitor, also went missing in January.

2:48 p.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

sir barett .. i thought you got a job already that you applied for .. how come you're still looking? What field are you planning to work in by the way? And what are you going to school for?

So do you get interview calls? How do you submit your resume? Careerbuilder? Make sure you include a cover letter .. and well many employers look for online versions of resumes .. do you have one?
And how is your resume .. is it well written (based on what employers can read in a 5 second glance)? Let me know if you need help with the resume formatting mate ..

9:01 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Nabeel -I have a 'job' or 'coop' or 'placement' right now that's a limited time thing. I have complete three of the six weeks for the position and I really enjoy it...but not all good things last forever. It is Media Relations -exactly what I'd like to be doing -writing news releases, building archives, media monitoring etc. I am taking Public Relations and my aim is to write, do issues management and build mutually positive relationships between a company or organization and the groups of people relevant to its function (like the media). My preference would be government relations.

I have a resumé and even worked for a professional career service so I should know the tricks but a second opinion is always best. We all have blind spots. I spend a lot of time writing cover letters and posting my resume on various job search sites looking for employment for when I graduate next month. There could be things that someone else would see to make it more attractive to potential employers. So thanks. I could use a few tips if you want to take a look at my resume. I'll hunt you down soon.

1:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here