Wednesday, February 01, 2006

If I had a Million Bucks

Things could be different. I spent three hours walking around going door-to-door in the freezing cold. If desperation could make a sound, it would be knocking. Every street I turned on was a dead end. The map I was given showed streets that were no longer there. It might as well have been a map of Atlantis.

I asked people if they would like to donate SLAM! (The timid simply hid inside their house and turned off the lights). So then I would try the next house and show my identity card in case they cared who they were saying no to. I asked a little girl if her mother or father were home and she said no, which made me wonder why she was standing there like that, with the door wide open. Children are so innocent!

Needless to say I got lost and took a detour through a construction zone, getting a soaker and tons of burs on my legs. I somewhat enjoyed the desolate darkness compared to the empty glow of doorbells. After awhile, hearing excuses why people couldn't afford to give $20 when they had two SUV's sitting in their lanes got boring. Yes, I can understand how it must be hard at work. I know exactly what it is like getting cut back. Then again, I CAN actually understand why they were saying no to me. I would say no to myself if I came up to my own door, even though that would be quite impressive. The problem is that there are too many incentives to care about everything, so too little incentives to care about something. I admit: without details, I wouldn't give a flip either. When it was all over I got picked up and shipped away. The driver asked how much I made: Nothing. I didn't even make minimum wage. And so that was three hours of my life down the tube. I will never do anything door-to-door again. I won't even say it was worth a shot. Not even one emotionally, socially or mentally damaged kid was helped. It's like I took the link right out of kidsLINK.

There will be no HNT this week. Instead, I will simply refer to someone who understands. He will tell you what he would do if he had...a million dollars. (Don't donate, just scroll down)

It's a good song.

6 Comments:

Blogger x said...

you said "I would say no to myself if I came up to my own door"
I wouldn't say no to you if you came up to my door (although that would be quite impressive too).

don't be sad please. please, please. Madelyn is so right. Your heart does glow in the dark. All the way to greece. xx

7:22 a.m.  
Blogger Lavinia said...

Hold on to hope and buy some lotto tickets.

I would also open my door to you, make you some tea and get you a backrub.

Good luck:P

7:59 a.m.  
Blogger Beth said...

I would bring you in for some pizza and wine, then you could have my $20 if you wanted.

I'm sorry it was such a disheartening experience for you, Sugar.

4:31 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

madelyn -Now I'm thinking of those glow-in-the-dark stickers that you'd put all over your ceiling to resemble stars. Nice image.

chloe -Thanx for the heart glimmerings too. I guess if I came up to my door and I asked myself: "are you me?" I would be forced to answer "yes" because I can never lie to myself, but I would still be really surprised to see me. And don't worry I'm as jovial as a miner. :)

lavinia -I'm not much of a 649er but hope is always welcomed. That's the thing luck likes to be friends with. I'll take your kind words as a gift. My fingers are crossed as I type.

QAO -It was actually kind of entertaining. It gave me something to laugh at and a little bit of exercise (I could use it considering I found out today my pants size has jumped up from 30). I think maybe I was pretty harsh actually. Oops!

10:31 p.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

yes children are innocent .. true but that case was bad parenting .. that's how kids get kidnapped .. dang parents!

What were you trying to get donations for? What neighborhood did you visit?

If I had a million bucks .. I would invest it .. change that 1 million into million(s) - God willing !!

10:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude...the BARENAKED LADIES are my FAVORITE! that song along with so many others.

I could be in the worst mood EVER and hear them...and all is well again.

9:02 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here