Monday, November 21, 2005

Rough Monday

Today was deplorable.
Things were not going right.
I did not get up early and finish editing the contact cards I'm designing for my one job.
The traffic on the way to school did not end.
I did not feel very informative or helpful at the meeting where I was supposed to update about the things I had not updated.
I did not have much to share at all other than my complaints that my program at home did not have the appropriate updates. So when I tried to convert my saved copies, it did not work. I was told it's too bad that I had come at all.
I did not have fun in class.
There was not only a few things to stress about.
I was not the only person who felt like today was a write-off.
I could not simply email my assignment to save myself the torture of completely reformatting it, because
my teacher would not have that. She wanted a physical copy.
The printer was not being my friend.
I did not get my assignment printed properly in the first ten tries.
I did not care about the trees I was destroying.
While the class was not waiting before going on with the next assignment, there I am trying to speak the printer's language, pressing buttons, creating beeps, getting confused, and ultimately frustrated.
I did not think of that scene in Office Space where the employees take the scanner out and gang beat it, kicking and smashing it until the one has to be taken away by his friends because he gets too wound up in violence against machines.
My brochure was not properly sized to use standard paper.
The printer did not have anything other than standard paper.
The printer seemingly did not have anything good about it.
I did not use clean language to express my reaction to this imbecilic machine.
It was not simple trying to feed the paper to the printer when it just doesn't understand.
I did not end the class happily. By the time I got to my next class, I was already not feeling perky, and this is still in the AM.
I did not stay in last night and take good care of myself. No, I went to open mic, played some music and watched some other musicians collaborating who were not doing so harmoniously.
I did not get the chance to present my speech that I spent the weekend preparing.
My classmates did not pay close attention to the time, nor did even the majority stay under the 5 minutes as was required.
As a result, class was not finished at the regular time.
It appeared that even in an extended class, we were not going to finish all the presentations.
It was so late that it was not light outside by the time I left.
Even though I'm several thousand kilometres overdue for an oil change on the car, I did not get to the garage in time for them to do it.
I could not go another moment without turning on my phone.
I was not unhappy that someone had actually called me and left me a message but...
It was not a message from a friend.
It was not Bill Gates offering me a job.
It was not a long lost brother, nor the child I never thought I had.
It was my boss telling me that I had not turned in my reports on time.

BUT
Then I called her back and she said I could get them in OK, no problem, so I did.
I filled up my car with gas and set up an appointment for the oil change.
I learned how to rotate tires and jump start my car in the presentations today, which will save me $25 on service charges for someone else to do it.
I felt good having also sat through three hours of presentations where I learned how to dress well, make paper airplanes, do yoga, have long distance relationships, decipher whether 'he's just not into [me]', speak spanish, get what I want passive-aggressively, and train a dog.
I got a gift certificate in the mail from one of my bosses who loves me.
I got home and felt very relaxed and content to go to sleep early tonight.
In the meantime I get to write a script asking for money so that our class can have a good graduation ceremony. So I realize that as Monday nears its end, the upcoming week doesn't look too bad.

8 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

There was something of a Dr. Suess or Shel Silverstein element to this post. (Even though it didn't rhyme, there was a certain rythym to the "I did not..." sentences you wrote.)

It would be a cool kid's book to have that idea for a rotten day written like that!

Sorry your monday sucked. Here's to a new day and a wish for a better tuesday!

8:47 p.m.  
Blogger {illyria} said...

once you get through monday, eveything is icing.

10:27 p.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

At least you have a "BUT" section. The worst is when nothing goes right.

8:55 a.m.  
Blogger Heather Cox said...

Thanks for stopping by. You asked about my name/Pink Floyd song. My comments taglines are from Floyd's Comfortably Numb lyrics, for an explanation of my blog title, see this entry: http://sleevelessinsu.blogspot.com/2004/12/sleevelessness-as-political-statement.html

1:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw shite!
sorry to read this....sometimes things suck big time and everything is going wrong, but then suddenly fate changes gears and you end up with wonderful surprises and good fortune in different ways! Monday is gone and it's hump day now...tomorrow is HNT and then it's Friday....yes this is how I make it through my weeks....things to look forward too....my favorite show on tv...my kids smiley faces and wonderful blogs to read including this one which unfortunately had a shitty day post....but the weekend is near at hand and good things most certainly lie ahead for YOU! cheer up and hang in there!! xo :)

9:10 a.m.  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

break the back of monday and slide onto wednesday. it is all cool after that.

11:08 a.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

aw shucks, true true, there are lots of fun things to get me through the week. You're the best bunch. "I get by with a little help from my friends" -Beatles

10:05 p.m.  
Blogger madamerouge said...

The scene in Office Space where the printer is taken out to the field to die is one of my favourite movie scenes ever. I think of it often. Especially when I repeatedly mash the keyboard of my office computer and yell "fuck" at it.

11:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here