Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Rocking

When I am a baby, my mother holds me and rocks me back and forth, gently,

When I am a toddler, I stand on two legs and they wobble back and forth, uneasily,

When I am a little boy and it is my first day at school, I rock my foot back and forth, nervously,

When I am a teenager and I climb into the trees with the wind freely blowing, I rock on the branches, back and forth, rebelliously,

When everything seems broken and I just need someone to hold me, they rock me back and forth, comfortingly,

When I am a young man and we have both lost something that we love for the first time, but we remember when things were better, you and I sit on the porch, and we rock back and forth, without speaking,

When I am in the mood to close my mind to everything outside and focus on the sweet music which fills my ears, I rock my head back and forth, mesmerised,

When I am a middle aged man and I am waiting for the train, I rock my my knapsack back and forth on my shoulders, in anticipation,

When I am an older man and we are walking down the streets of Paris, hand in hand, remembering how it was to see the sunset together, I rock your hand back and forth against my hip, affectionately,

When I am a grey-haired man out on the lake, all alone, and there are no fish but a light breeze and radiant sun, the boat rocks back and forth, soothingly,

When I am an old man and my bones ache and I smell of urine, and my voice shakes, and my mind fails, and my heart races, when my balance is off and my body rocks back and forth at the top of the stairs,

Then the pallbearers rock my coffin back and forth, and lower it into the grave, slowly, where it sits, still.

@Copyright 2006 SirBarrett

4 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

this is beautiful, following you through your lifetime and seeing the connection and warmth of rocking back and forth in ordinary moments as well as turning points in your life like your first heart break. i especially loved the image of the grey-haired man by the lake alone physically but so rich with a lifetime of experiences.

sweet, delicate writing.

11:13 p.m.  
Blogger Modigliani said...

I enjoyed that, too. Beautifully written!

12:16 a.m.  
Blogger Prmod Bafna said...

Very interesting piece! imparting it a characterous monologue.. amazing!

4:15 a.m.  
Blogger Beth said...

That was beautiful, Sugar. Absolutely beautiful.

11:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here