Friday, December 16, 2005

The Violinist I Used to Know

"The times they are a changing!" -Bob Dylan

A lot can happen in a decade. Since highschool, I've lost track of many people, but when I wonder what someone is up to, google comes in very handy. I'm sure everyone has someone they thought to check up on, only to be surprised by the extensive information written about them. I had just such an experience, after I looked up someone I admired in highschool, a girl who played violin in the same orchestra. I played the trumpet, and we worked hard, praciticing our Bach Concerto's and hymns like 'Sleepers Awake'. She was a bit older and wiser than I. We used to share poetry together, and she sang in the choir. I was always particularly struck by her kindness and beauty.

Her name was Angela Bensler. She had her locker just down the hall from me, and we would write the occasional letter. Her older brother was also a violinist, and the two made quite a combo whenever there was a Christmas concert or official dedication. She always told me to have a positive attitude, and encouraged me to listen to the wise words of Bob Dylan.

Well, we lost touch. She moved out to Alberta, and I lost track. I lost track up until a few moments ago that is, when I looked her up.

Apparently she met a fellow musician, Shane Wiebe, who she originally asked to be her pianist. The two were on the exact same page when it came to their music and spiritual beliefs and insights, and they fell in love. In 2003, he used the University of British Columbia to stage a surprise engagement, putting together a musical and poetic event in her honour. His stellar voice got him competing in Canadian Idol, and despite not winning, it was an amazing experience for them both. Shane went on to produce an album which is now on the market and can be exclusively downloaded at MapleMusic.com. The violinist is now known as Angela Wiebe, they have a new daughter named Joelle, born Nov 28, who Shane said is is "wonderful (apart from keeping us up most nights)" on Dec 9. Despite the sleepless nights, he catches himself grinning at the thought of being a dad, and they appear to be the portrait of a loving musical family.

You can see their seamless synchronicity and grace together onstage. See them perform 'What Child is This' together here.

You must be busy Shane and Angela Wiebe, I wish you the best!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHY ON EARTH IS A YOUNG CUTE BOY LIKE YOU AT HOME ON A FRIDAY NIGHT POSTING ON MY SHAMELESS BLOG ??

YOU SHOULD BE OUT HAVING FUN FUN FUN!!! WHILE YOU ARE YOUNG! OK I'M GOING TO BE NICE... I'VE LEARNED MY LESSON....I'M "happy" BUT I'M BEING "nice". :)

9:32 p.m.  
Blogger J said...

That's neat. I didn't even recognize the name Shane Wiebe at first until you mentioned Canadian Idol.

I don't watch reality TV, but I do remember his name being mentioned quite a bit in the media, and I remember wondering at the time if there was a Menno connection.

It's fun to Google names. I do it all the time.

2:19 a.m.  
Blogger Paul said...

Just to say happy holidays - my blog's still pretty much on hold for now - Paul

7:54 p.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Miztee -Thanks for being "nice". (No quotations needed). :)

J -I've missed out on all the Idols, but the Menno connection is strong.

hizzlethizzle -nice of you to drop by!

Paul -Good to see you! Happy holidays to you too! Your blog will feel more refreshed and I look forward to it after this rest.

8:29 p.m.  
Blogger Udge said...

Yeah, google is pretty cool. I have re-established contact with some people from university days that way.

It's both funny and annoying that my writings as "udge" appear much higher (first page!) in google searches than my professional writings in my real name. It's a very common name, and the others are all much more famous and worthy than I: doctors, lawyers, professors and politicians.

4:18 p.m.  
Blogger Lorena said...

wow, how amazing.

3:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here