Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Indulging Demons and Getting Work Done


This is my week this week. As you can see, it's full. I get to have a breakfast interview and create a recognition program for Weyerhaeuser (as an exercise) and do promotions and travel. I get to start two new jobs and hold on to two more, but it's exhilarating. Although I'm sleep-deprived after cramming for my World Affairs midterm this morning, which I smoked, I feel like I'm getting through and seeing a clear goal. The alternative would be mindlessly going through the week as a zombie, pouring hot coffee on my hand, watching my self-market crash, etc. Thankfully, my phone bill is due one day after I get paid.

But the highlight will be seeing so many different costumes and maintaining order as a security guard at the school Halloween bash, then getting to be chaotic myself, becoming a zombie and meeting with others like myself at Mitzee's zombie convention (who must have had her blog assassinated again). You can't kill me, I'll just come back again. CBC is talking about the origination of zombies in Haiti. How natural drugs were induced to make people appear dead. Later, the zombies would rise out of the grave, but they were thought to have lost their souls. I'm working on my zombie groan so that I can scare the wits out of someone. uuuuuuuuUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAHHhh!!

Tomorrow I meet with my conversation partner to practice english, who comes from Korea. She gave me green tea, which apparently has many health benefits, including detoxification and weight loss. We talk about Canadian culture, she shows me pictures of Korea, and we joke around. In training for conversation partnering, there were some interesting things we realized about our own language, like the fact that it's a messed-up language with strange rules. For example, our verbs and nouns don't seem to match. Why don't you say "he walk" and "they walks"? We dissected the components of conversations: questions, responses, rhetorical questions and expressions, and compared expressions that have meaning only in particular contexts and languages.

For example, Indonesians have a saying: "The stronger the handshake, the emptier the mind!" If we would take that to heart in PR, perhaps we'd shake hands like they were dead fish. Speaking of fish, the Japanese say "only dead fish have their mouths open." Luckily, I'm designed to be a nose-breather (except when the cold strikes). I like this Dutch saying: "A good wine doesn't need to brag." because it reminds me to be modest, and not to listen when the wine starts talking. The contested communication difference between East Indians is that apparently they don't say "no". When they want to say "no" they say "yes" and when they want to say maybe they say "yes yes" and when they want to say "yes" they say "yes yes yes!" very passionately. I suppose that in some cultures, no means yes, but I haven't found an example for that yet.

Yes, it is glorious to be young and busy. I think I will look for a nice vampire this weekend to keep me that way forever. Where are you Lestat? Where are you Louis? Claudia? Come to me my children!  Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE and all that it stands for....zombie man....you are coming! AWESOMERAD! I saw your post with the FRIDAY NIGHT FEATURES!!! yippee kayay....you can totally meet up with us before hand.....r u driving? bringing friends? what's the deal? email me...i'll check later on. k! love it. zombie groan..yes i'm pretty sure i'm going. and yes my blog is dead....forever....unlike the vampire that i shall become this weekend like u. ;)

10:30 a.m.  
Blogger gulnaz said...

sounds like a full and fun week!
i'm sure you are going to enjoy every minute of it.
btw, indians en masse should be trained how to say no nicely, even i find myself agreeging to do stuff which i don't want to only to grumble later.

11:50 a.m.  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sounds like an interesting week, which will be full of unpredictable kinds of things.

Enjoy and have fun.

3:13 p.m.  
Blogger Lorena said...

it's good to be busy. sounds like you are going to enjoy the halloween season. i have a party to go to Saturday but i'm still not sure if i will. you make my life quiet compared to your full schedule.

interesting stuff about languages. it's always interesting to learn about other cultures. lucky you. thanks for sharing.

have a great weekend!!

3:31 p.m.  
Blogger Lorena said...

oh and your schedule looks like mine when i use to go to school

3:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here