Tuesday, July 19, 2005

From Womb to Here

Has not been a bad ride. My head is still on. Sure, I've had neck problems. I always backtrack on this day, remembering all the lights caught in the wind, whisking over years, remembering the people I've come across, or through, or with, looking over what I now have and what I've lost, and savouring all the memories of them both wrapped in a thick layer of existence.

-CASE 3534217255243-

Description: tallish, two arms, two legs, ten toes, three eyes, wide-set nostrils, big feet, brown, unpredictable hair, work hands, piano fingers, reaching neck, elusive shoulders.
Body type: climber
Demeanor: serious
Personality: none, whatsoever
Astrological sign: cancer
Genus: Murina
Handshake type: firm


THE ETYMOLOGICAL STORY:

It was 24 years ago today that my parents set out for a celebration at a small farm in Yarmouth, twp. Ontario. The sun was shining, people were laughing, barbecues presumeably smoking, children running. Little did anyone suspect, that there would be an extra visitor at the party. But my mother's water broke. Oops! And as it turned out, I was to be delivered.

She began rushing to make speed. There was not time for expostulation. A persistent being inside her pushed to be let free. She tried, but couldn't make it to the car. Instead, she layed down under the cool shade of a tree. All in a matter of fifteen minutes, and it would be through.

Out I burst! The midwives could not run fast enough to catch me. My father brought me out, raised me to the shining sun, and wrapped me in a picnic blanket, first severing my umbilical cord with a jacknife.

The photo journalists came to get their sneak peek of the party crasher. (I WAS born to be wild). My parents ushered me off in a car back home. I was introduced to some friends and family, if not the whole world. They had cake, but I didn't touch the stuff. My grandfather was so pleased to have a second male offspring, that he checked me in the laundry room just to make certain. Yes, that makes an X chromosome, AND a Y. The deal is sealed. Count me in on carrying the family name.

The story goes on, but that was the beginning.

Last year I spent today in a hospital after effectively receiving a nail in my arm. Work accidents sometimes come at the most inopportune times.

Today was gorgeous! Who could have asked for softer, sweeter, cool winds on a helluva heat wave summer like this one!? Although I was pleased with the gale, I was spraying industrial liquid to coat the walls of the building at work. The product is called weather sheild, and it will waterproof whatever it comes into contact.

Now, something people should know is that people are already waterproof. They don't need an extra skin of synthetic who-knows-what.

I do my utmost to wear protective gear as Howard so persistently reminds me to, but you can't ever guarantee against errant streams.

With the wind blowing, I had to duck and dodge as to not be caught in the line of my tanks fire. This made me consider: although I wouldn't mind being immortalized in the form of writing, I have no wish to be embalmed and preserved at the age of 24.

So, fantastically, and to my great relief, I managed to escape the work injury on an especially superstitious day for me: my birthday. I still have a few hours left, so now I will get in some trivia and socializing with friends and fellow geeks, easing into time further over a beer, putting on my 24 year old skin. The night is still young, so I will watch out for falling pianos, but I thank the universe for such a life filled with seeming serendipity and wonder. It is a blessing I will never forget.

5 Comments:

Blogger c said...

Happy birthday, albeit a bit late....

And you're just a BABY! 24?? That seems like forever ago for me.

10:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Sir Barrett!

Lovely story....aside from the umbilical cord was cut with a jackknife...jeesh!

glad you enjoyed your day and your life....keep up the good work...only good times ahead I hope. cheers! ;)

10:04 a.m.  
Blogger DW and Sarah said...

I like trivia!

7:54 a.m.  
Blogger Lala said...

I think that's a great story. Happy belated birthday from Ottawa!

Lala
http://lalaland.typepad.com

7:58 a.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

happy belated! and watch the flying nails.

8:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here